The Sorting

The door swung open at once. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and Cassiopeia knew that this was Professor McGonagall.

"The fir' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

Cassiopeia smirked, she loved being right. 

"Thank you, Hagrid, I will take them from here."

She pulled the door wide. The entrance hall was so big you could have fit the whole orphanage in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

Cassiopeia let out an audible gasp, hand pressed to her chest. It was a sudden influx of magic, wild and fierce, multi-colored, wisping around her. The magic sang to her, beckoned her and brought a sense of comfort and warmth. Cassiopeia paid no mind to the questioning glances her friends shot her, instead she focused on the fluttering, swirling auras that emitted from the castle, seeping from the walls and very floors they were being led across. It was beautiful, graceful even, as if the magic had its own dance to a tune only it knew of.  

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. Cassiopeia had a tight grip on Ginny and Astoria's hands, Luna grasping Ginny's other hand to keep them connected.

There was a drone of hundreds of voices drifting from a doorway to the right as they passed by. Professor McGonagall led them off into a small, empty chamber off the hall, crowding them into it as they all stood closely and peered around nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts." 

Cassiopeia liked the sound of that. She had never had a family, not really. Harry was her brother, no doubt about that, but she had only had him in her life for a few years. She had never known the love of a father. A mother's gentle touch and caress. Even if her parents truly were still alive, they hadn't wanted her. They had left her to die on the streets. No, it was better Cassiopeia didn't think that way. It was better to think them dead than to fathom the idea that she had been abandoned. It hurt less.

"You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points."

Professor McGonagall paused, eyes sweeping through the crowd as if she could pick out the troublesome students just by appearance. Her eyes seemed to land on Cassiopeia, who sent a shy smile to the Professor, best not to get on her bad side before I'm even sorted , who cast a second glance at her, eyes widening slightly as she stumbled back. It was a small motion, discrete, and those who hadn't been paying avid attention to the Professor would have missed it.

Unfortunately, two pairs of nearly identical silver gray eyes had caught the movement. Cassiopeia tilted her head, what was that about?

Professor McGonagall quickly looked away, collecting herself as she continued her speech. "At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."