34 | 4 years later

It had been 4 years since Dianna left Boston. 4 long years. A lot had changed since then, a lot.

Ransom was back to being a complete and utter asshole, that wasn't surprising for him. It was what everyone expected. The only difference was he couldn't go home and be himself, he couldn't go home and be himself with Dianna. That's what he missed most, binging an asshole all day to people he doesn't care about and then going home to Dianna and being the complete opposite.

Dianna was the one to surprise people. She had completely changed, it was like she had buried the old Dianna so far down she was unreachable. She had quit writing, something she had promised never to do. In fact she had given up everything she enjoyed, she had became a shell of Dianna Finley.

Ransom spent his days at the country club and his nights at the club picking up whatever blonde he could find, someone he could pretend was Dianna. He could get them back to his easy enough, it was what came next that started to become difficult for ransom. There was that first awkward night when he just couldn't become hard, it was embarrassing for him. So much so he kicked the poor girl out. It was only when he was alone he realised what the problem was. While all these girls might have something in common with Dianna in the way they looked they weren't her, they would never be her. He had remembered the film, the film they had made the night in New York. The night when things were easier, more simple. It was only then when he watched the sight he had missed so much he became hard once more. So now when he brought girls back he would excuse himself going to the bathroom, quickly watching parts of the film before walking back out and doing what he had to do.

Tonight was the same as every other night, well apart from one detail. As he laid down onto his bed, shortly after kicking the girl out he heard his phone begin to ring. He pulled Himself up and out of bed, walking into the bathroom grabbing his phone. His face turning into one of shock and confusion when he saw it was Sarah calling him. Multiple thoughts ran through his head but the main one being was Dianna hurt? He quickly answered the call pulling it up to his ear.

"Sarah? Is everything okay?" He asked, his voice for the first time in 4 years full with worry

"Yes, everything's okay. I want to see you, I want have a talk with you"

Ransom gulped, he was in trouble. Dianna must have finally told her everything "a talk? What's it about?"

"I would like you to come visit me. I will send you the address"

"Oh I still know your-"

"I no longer stay there" she interrupted him

"You don't?"

"No. Now I'll see you within the week?"

He nodded to himself "yeah, yes you will"

She hung up the call, leaving ransom in a state of confusion. The address came through straight away, ransom was even more confused when he got the address. It was a hospital, why would she send him a hospital address? He pulled Google up, putting the address straight in. He sighed when he saw the results 'end of life care' his heart immediately aching more than it already did.

As he walked back to bed he googled the first flight out to New York he could find. The first one being Friday.

————

The last two days had been hell for ransom, but he's gotten used to that now.

He was currently sitting in a taxi on his way to see Sarah, he was terrified. Ransom wasn't scared of much but Sarah was definitely one of those things, maybe it was because she had so much faith in him that it just made him nervous. The taxi came to a stop, ransom paying the man before jumping out. He walked into the building, stopping at the desk.

"I'm here to see Sarah Finley" he spoke to the women behind the desk

She nodded, pointing down the hallway "last room on the left"

He nodded, walking down the hallway. Taking a deep breath before entering the room. Nothing could've prepared him for what he was about to see, the women he saw lying on the bed was not the women he remembered. Sarah had turned into a frail women, she looked ill, she looked really ill.

"Sarah" he walked further into the room

"Ransom, you haven't changed a bit" she smiled brightly at him "come here, take a seat"

She was smiling at him, maybe he wasn't in trouble? He walked towards her sitting on the chair beside the bed. "It's so good to see you again" she smiled

"You- you're not angry?" He felt strange, it was almost as if someone had put him in a time machine sending him back to four years ago

She sighed "yes I was annoyed when you and Di first split, but there's bigger issues at hand. I have something to tell you but I need to know how you feel, do you still have feelings for my daughter?"

He didn't even need to think about it, of course he did. No matter how much time passed he would always love her. "I do, I do" he sighed

"Good" she stated, nodding her head

"Good?" He questioned, not knowing where she was going with this

"As much as she won't admit it I know she still loves you. I'm worried about her ransom"

"Worried? Why what's wrong?" He asked, worry spreading through him

"She's engaged-"

"She's what?" He interrupted her, shock, anger,sadness and jealousy spreading through his whole body. Ransom knew she would move on eventually but that didn't make it hurt any less

"She's not doing good, she's given up everything she loves. She doesn't even write anymore"

"She doesn't write?" He asked, clearly in shock

She shook her head "she doesn't even have a job, he won't let her have one"

"Who is he?"

"His some rich bastard, his father runs one of the biggest tech companies in New York. He is making Dianna the perfect little trophy wife, it's crushing her. When I look at her I don't see my daughter"

His heart shattered at this, Dianna was so full of life. She never let anything get in her way, to hear she had given up was heartbreaking but what could he do? She doesn't want to see him, she made that perfectly clear "what- what can I do?"

"I need you to talk to her, you are the only one who could get through to her" her eyes beginning to fill with tears "I don't have long left and I can't leave her like this"

Ransom reached forward, taking her hand in his. He didn't know how but he would try. He would try his hardest to help, to help Dianna, to help Sarah. "I'll help, I'll help"

"Thank you, thank you so much" she spoke, the tears streaming down her face

For the first time in four years ransom felt something he never thought he would feel again, empathy. He felt sorry for Sarah, he felt this was his fault.