17: Rush

The outskirts of downtown Jordan Heights were practically barren. Blake spotted two people around the sidewalks of some shops, but they disappeared before he could get very close. The townspeople had become exceptionally cautious it appeared, or were already sick somehow. Or, they were fearful for themselves or their friends and family.

Despite his determination and knowing where he was headed, his mind was still a wreck. He nearly fell face first on the ground had his legs not caught up to him, and the scythe about slipped out of his grasp multiple times while running....even if he almost lost his balance because of the weight when turning a corner.

He did not know exactly, but Blake was sure the hospital had to be less than five minutes away by now. He didn't know what would happen once he reached his destination, but he was desperate. All the while the strange man's ominous words kept replaying in his head as he ran.

You can see them also...Who in your lineage was marked by darkness?...You have a predecessor who will know...whatever reason he protects this town, we will destroy it...I will start with them, and those already bound by affliction will be next.

He had far more questions than answers. And whatever happened in the church, whatever that man did, was a horrifying memory that made his stomach twist and churn. He tried to shake the images out of his mind, but it only kept replaying, over and over again. 

His throat tightened. No, he told himself. No, don't get sick now...

Blake turned one more corner, and observed the top of the hospital building just a few blocks away. He dare not breath with relief; his heart still pounded with panic and fear.

He was running at top speed when making his way across the parking lot. But the small crowd of people gathered near the entrance made him skid to a halt. He gasped for air only a little as he stopped, but his lungs adjusted before long. He kept the scythe behind his back and carefully stepped towards the group. While a few briefly glanced his way, none made any comments or question towards him.

"We are limited with letting people in, we're overcrowded as is!"

"Sir, you've already seen your wife twice this week, we don't want you getting sick!"

Blake propped himself on his tiptoes and looked around. More than a dozen people tried getting into the hospital, and only two staff attempted to prevent that. Some of the townsfolk wore some kind of face mask, others didn't. While glancing at the crowd Blake suddenly dropped down as he saw a familiar gruff-looking face. June's father. I can't let him see me...

A breeze picked up as the cloud cover above intensified. Realizing what he wore, Blake pulled the hoodie over his head so his face could not be easily seen by his neighbor.

June's father stood on the other side of the crowd, and the hospital staff member closest to Blake, a woman with two face masks on it looked like, was merely trying to keep the crowd back. He took his chance and crept towards the front of the crowd, coming in from the side so he did not have to wind around people all weird with his scythe still clutched. As soon as his gaze locked with hers, he spoke.

"I...I was hoping...to see my mother?"

The woman had a glazed look in her eyes. She did not appear sick otherwise, but exhaustion certainly floated around in their hazel depths.

"You could be at higher risk due to your age," she finally said, her tone full of such disheartened regret. "If you had another parent who could-"

"I don't have another parent," Blake quickly interrupted, feeling his chest tighten and his voice falter. "It's just me and my mom. But I'm not sick, and neither is she! She's just weak and tired and separated from everyone else because she's not sick! Please, I have to see her!"