Chapter One

Chapter One

Dedicated to desirae32001

Picture of Desirae above ^^^

When I woke up, I gasped in air for a minute, needing to catch a breath. The dreams were getting stronger, more and more vivid in detail. With a hand on my heart, I slid my legs to the side of the bed and stood, putting on my glasses from my nightstand. My shield, I thought, shuffling to the closet to get ready for the day. I forced on a shirt and slipped in a pair of jeans. Grabbing my trusty hoodie, I went downstairs.

No one was around. Figures. Everyone else is sleeping like normal people. Nevertheless, I took a Granny Smith apple from the bowl on the counter, swung my backpack over my shoulder and headed up the street to catch the bus.

I sat at the front of the bus, ignoring the raucous people who filter in. Disregarding them is my specialty. I jam ear buds into my ears and listen to random crap to drown them out. I look up, and there looms the world's most idiotic idea ever.

High school.

I mean, who's bright idea was it to put a bunch of hormonal teenagers under one roof? Add the scandalously short "skirts" the girls wear and the sagging pants the guys sport, and it's a freaking epidemic.

And I had to go there. Could life be any more unfair?

I slogged into my first class, yanking out my ear buds and putting my phone away. In class, I didn't really pay attention because I am naturally smart and usually aced my classes.

A disturbance at the front of the class pulled me out of my reverie. Someone I didn't recognize stood there with the teacher, arguing. But then again, I didn't know the majority of the people in this class. Nevertheless, I would have at least remembered her. While she and my teacher argued, I studied her. She had black leather combat boots laced to the tip of her kneecap, a short pleated skirt that fell halfway down her thigh, and a black studded headband kept her short brown hair streaked with blonde out of her face.

My musings were interrupted by the teacher clearing his throat to speak. "Class," his timid voice called out, "I would like for you all to meet the newest member of our classroom. Her name is Desirae Rose, and although the school year's almost over, I still want you to treat her well."

All the boys were eyeing her appreciatively. Probably because that was as much action as they were going to get. As in none. They weren't exactly attractive..

"Now where should we seat you?" he asked turning to us as if we were going to help him. Not that he needed help anyways. This classroom was full of empty seats. Including the ones acting as armor for me in the back row. But the boys were calling out, shoving each other out of their seats in hopes of her sitting next to them. Me, I just sunk down into my chair. I've survived this long without someone sitting next to me. Why disturb that trend now?

"Desirae, do you see a spot you would like to sit in?" Uh oh. Girls liked to be in packs, and I was the only girl with empty seats around her. She was sure to pick one of the spots next to me. I sank lower in my chair. She scanned the room, a hint of a smile on her stunning face. Her eyes came my way...

...and passed me by. I breathed a sigh of relief. I guess she heard my breath, because then her eyes doubled back. And focused on me.

With sinking dread, she raised up her arm so a perfectly manicured finger was pointed straight at me. And her lips moved. "I want to sit next to her."

A/N: Hey guys. This is my first story on Wattpad after being on here for four years. I'm a little nervous about it, but I encourage feedback and support, so vote and comment! Also, I realize this chapter is short, but I have to build a background for her first. Next chapter will hopefully be longer.

_idiot_thinking_