Chapter Five

Chapter FIVE

            The rest of the train ride had been a breeze. Mostly.

            Effie came to everybody’s room, announcing that it was a big, big day. She told us to get down to the dining car soon, and that she was sorry that she would be missing for the first half of the meal. I didn’t know why, but the short, bland explanation of losing her bag was suspicious.

            Breakfast consisted of Pa letting the chefs off the hook and cooking us all cheese bread and eggs, everyone drinking hot chocolate. All of this was accompanied with the usual chatter of previous games and of the other tributes since Effie was absent.

            Pa pulled his crinkled notepad out after he had finished making breakfast. The notepad held all of the information about previous tributes and tactics, something very valuable. He had jotted down the most impressive tributes of this year and was sharing them with the table.

            “The Careers from 1 2 and 4, Ebony from 3, female from 7, male from 9, female from 10. These are the ones to look out for, okay? You have to both remember to write down at the end of each training session what the others excel in. And make sure to look for weaknesses while you train. Training starts tomorrow,” Pa instructed while taking a bite of his bread.

            “Tonight is the opening ceremony. Ruebee and Jay will make you both look splendid! Aren’t you?” Ma asked them.

            “Of course! I have the perfect costumes to put you in, Sienna. I hope you don’t mind if you match, but I wanted to portray District unity,” she hurriedly replied.

            “I’m not going to be naked, am I!?” Aaron exclaimed. Years ago, before Ma and Pa’s, a stylist had seen it fit to have her tributes stark naked and covered in coal dust.

            “Of course not! Don’t be stupid,” Jay scoffed, he seemed seriously offended. “Who do you think we are? Your District has been the favourites of the ceremony since Katniss’ games. District 1 has been trying so hard to claim that title back, and we won’t let Cinna’s and Portia’s works go to waste.”

            That was the longest thing I had ever heard him say, he was such a quiet guy, the opposite of his fiancé. I suppose she spoke enough to make up for both of them.

            “Don’t worry, Aaron. I reviewed the costumes myself.” Comforted Cinna whose exterior still expressed calmness and serenity.

            That ended any attempts of further conversation.

            After a few minutes, the eggs had considerably cooled. The turned slightly green in colour, and became more difficult to chew, like rubber. I had seconds of the cheese bread, and so had Ma. I didn’t know how she stayed so thin, she probably ate like a pig all the time when being a mentor.

            “I’m sorry I’m late! I had to quickly rush back to my cart to find my perfume and I found a grey hair in my hair!” She exclaimed, green eyes opened wide. “I can’t let Violet see that I’m aging!”

            I noticed her excuse was different to the one she had told us earlier. What was she up too?

            Violet Dresser was the Game Maker this year. A Game Maker was the person in charge of the games, from the arena to the ceremonies and to the Mutts. It was a dangerous job; as if there was a mistake you could be publicly executed. Just like Seneca Crane, who allowed both Ma and Pa to survive.