leaving scars on your mind

Tick...

Tock!

Tick...

Tock!

The endless pattern of ticking made you tiredly yawn. The soft couch enveloping your body and the serene moonlight that filtered through the curtains invited you to drift off to sleep.

You knew this scenario all too well. You didn't know how, but you did. And you knew you despised it.

It was against your better judgment, but you honestly considered falling asleep so you wouldn't have to deal with the boredom. You sunk deeper into the cushions and your eyelids grew heavy-

Knock knock knock!

Like taking a splash of cold water to the face, you jolted wide awake. The knocking was gone by the moment you were up. You stared at the front door with a baffled look.

That... That wasn't Three, was it? It couldn't have been. He wouldn't knock on the door of his own house. So it was only logical to assume it was someone else. The first thing you thought was a stranger, but your instincts told you otherwise.

...Something about this scenario just seemed right. It had to be. There were only two people you could think of that would be here right now. With that realization, you got up to unlock the entrance.

There was an Octoling in place of Three. Simply by looking at his soft eyes, you knew who it was.

"Eight!" You threw yourself onto him for a hug. He stumbled a bit but was ultimately able to support your weight. His lips were parted in surprise.

"Wait, I-" He pushed you down by the shoulders. "I didn't even have to play the song this time. How did you know it was me?"

That was a good question. However, it was one you sadly couldn't answer. You shrugged. "I'm not sure. A lot of things have been coming back to me today. I've... found out a lot of things."

He raised an eyebrow in intrigue, appearing to catch your drift. But you spoke before he could. "Please, I need you to get me out of here. I can't stay with Three anymore."

"I know. That's what I came here to do."

You paused. "Huh?"

"Late last night, you called me and said the same thing. That's why I'm here today, to take you home with me." He explained, placing a hand on his chin in thought. "It's strange that you remember who I am but not what happened yesterday... I suppose that means you haven't fully recovered yet."

"It's probably a good thing I don't remember what happened yesterday," You muttered. Eight's intrigue returned when you revealed the note, carefully taking it when you handed it over. "I found this note in my pocket earlier. I think I left it there last night for myself. Read it."

And so he did. You bit your lip as you waited for him to finish, examining each and every one of his expressions. They slowly got more and more horrified. By the time he was done, you could tell he felt exactly the way you did.

He slowly put the letter down. "That... That can't be true."

"Why else would I write that he murdered someone, Eight?!"

"Well- Do you even know who it was?" He demanded, not quite angry at you but more appalled at the situation. And you couldn't blame him for not believing it. It was difficult for you to accept too.

"I don't know if I ever saw," You begrudgingly admitted.

"...We'll have to find out later." He folded the note and put it away, wearing a stern gaze. "We're leaving."