Chapter 11: An Invitation

A few days had gone by since Sebastian's lengthy talking-to. During that period of seemingly endless lip-flapping from his friends, he had begun to wonder how many times they could reiterate the same points; he understood that he was out of line (but, he still did believe the band plus Ross needed thicker skin). What else was there?

This point became slightly ironic as he stared at Savannah's contact on his phone, just as she had done a few days prior. He kept telling himself that she wouldn't mind him calling her and inviting her to the Skids' party. The worst she would do was say no (which was a very likely possibility, since she didn't like partying). A "no" isn't awful, right?

But, he still couldn't gather his courage and do it. He just kept staring at the call button, its cartoon-shaped phone icon staring back at him, taunting him.

His brain became divided in two during this moment. One side of this hypothetical division encouraged asking. As stated before, it couldn't hurt! And the party would be ten times more kickass if Savannah was there. But, the other, more cynical side kept warning him against it. Savannah would think he was such a dumbass for inviting her to a party when he was explicitly told she hated parties. Besides, he had brought up the idea to Rachel, and he said she definitely wouldn't go for it. Rachel knew Savannah better than anyone, and he would've been able to tell if she would make an exception to her rule.

Eventually, his optimism won over for a split second. Who the fuck cared what Rachel thought? He was probably right, but so what? When has a possible refusal for anything ever held Sebastian Bach back? He took a chance with Skid Row, took a chance with his previous girlfriends in asking them out, and took a chance in finding the courage to actually sing in front of people. Asking his colleague to come to a party was easy-fucking-peasy.

So, his thumb hit the call button in a burst of courage.

Immediately, he regretted it. Even though his optimism was more objectively correct than his cynicism, he couldn't shake that devil on his shoulder.

But, it was too late now. No backing down. So, he shakily raised the phone to his ear, letting it ring.

A dull voice in the back of his mind informed him that this was the first time he was going to call Savannah. They had been texting steadily these past few days, and now they were going to be on their first call. For some reason, that occasion felt more momentous to him than it should've.

   He was beginning to think she wouldn't answer, and was about to hang up, when. . .

   "Hello?"

   His heart lurched, not having expected to hear her voice. "Hey, Sav."

   "Hi, Baz. What's up?"

   He felt his palms glaze over with nervous sweat. He wiped his free hand on his pants, mouthing curses to himself. "Well, the Skids are having a party tomorrow night," he got out. "And, I was wondering if you wanted to go."

   There was a pause on the other end of the line, and Sebastian was quick to fill the silence with his trademark blabbering. "Before you say anything, I know you said you're not much of a partier, but. . .I don't know. I just thought that you being there would make it more fun. Besides, it's not like you have to do drugs or get wasted! I just. . .want you there. Everyone else does, too."

   Savannah thought about it, mentally groaning. A party? That would be a lot of social interaction, and a lot of drunken idiots. But, on the other hand, Sebastian would be there, smiling at her and chatting with her the way he had been doing for close to a week now. She had begun to miss him, since her work hadn't been needed these past few days.