9

The atmosphere around the Alpine garage and hospitality building was weird to say the least. It was now Saturday afternoon and qualifying was due to take place.

Everyone had taken notice of the tense atmosphere between the two teammates and no one could understand what was going on between them.

In typical Belgium Grand Prix fashion, the rain had started to pour down just thirty minutes before the session was due to begin throwing strategies out the window as teams got ready to fit either the wet or intermediate tyres.

Abigail was sat in her side of the garage talking with Andrew and Louis. After devising a new strategy to get the most out of the session, the Brit was left alone.

Race director Michael Masi had announced the delay in the start of the session by 12 minutes meaning she didn't have to get into her car just yet.

But that was not exactly the news she wanted to hear. Being left sat in the garage, sheltered from the pouring rain outside meant she was only a few feet away from Esteban.

Eventually the session got underway and everyone headed out on the wet tyres except the two Williams who opted for the intermediates.

George and Nicky had managed to go one-two at the top of the timing sheets after their first fastest lapping signalling to the rest of the grid that the green striped tyre was the way to go.

Both Esteban and Abigail had managed to make it out of Q1 finishing P14 and P15 respectively by the end of the session.

They had also managed to make it through Q2 before the rain really started to pour before Q3 was due to start and the full wets would definitely be required before the drivers even dreamed on stepping onto that track.

Abigail was the first driver out in track after being told by her engineer there was no sign of the session being red flagged just yet even with complaints from drivers such as Seb.

There was a lot of standing water on the track as the young Brit made her way around Eau Rogue and up Raidillon before suddenly losing control of her car.

After that she was simply a passenger as her car spun briefly before being launched at high speed into the barrier.

She could hear the voice of her race engineer Andrew as her helmet rested against the edge of her halo. She could feel her eyes getting heavier and heavier as she tried to reply to the concerned voice of her team but it didn't happen.

Eventually she hadn't the strength to keep her eyes open any longer before she suddenly slipped into complete darkness.

—————

Countless thoughts were running through her mind like why she was doing this and did she really like him or was it just the alcohol talking?

But while her back hit the elevator wall and his lips trailed down her neck, Abi really didn't care why she was doing it all she knew was that she was and she was enjoying it.

It was almost 2am when they left the club together, leaving their friends behind as they headed back to the Abi's hotel room.

The hallways were quiet as the elevator doors opened on the 6th floor before they stepped out. There lips were still attached as they walked down the hallway in sync only pulling away for Abi to grab her key card.

"Stop. I can't concentrate." The brown haired girl spoke as she dug through her bag in search of her room key while he continued to softly kiss her neck.

"Hurry up." He whispered. She eventually found the key and quickly swiped it over the reader.

Abi was quickly pushed inside and his lips immediately attacked hers as he used his foot to close the door behind them.

He was a few inches taller than her and to make up for that he used his hands to lift her up until her legs were wrapped tightly around his waist.

He carefully laid her down on the bed before kissing her softly starting from her lips and working down her neck until her reached the buttons of her dress.

Slowly they were opened until she was completely exposed. She sat up and removed the dress before laying back down. He was staring down at her making her feel self conscious.

"What?" Abi wondered as she placed her arms over her chest.

"Nothing. You're beautiful." Esteban assured her before leaning down and connecting their lips once again.

—————

The waiting room of the hospital was packed with friends, fellow drivers and members of the Alpine team alike as they all waited patiently on news about Abi after the crash.

After being dragged unconsciously from the cockpit of her car which was stuck in the wall of a barrier up Radillion, she was quickly transferred to the nearest hospital.

She was now in surgery as the doctors worked to repair a bleed in her brain that she had sustained during the crash along with a broken leg, three fractured ribs, a punctured lung and a severe concussion.

Esteban was pacing back and forth across the waiting room floor that everyone was sure he would wear a hole in the floor by the time Abi was out of surgery.

"Mate maybe you should sit down." Lance spoke as he reached out to grab his friend's hand to stop him from pacing anymore.

The Frenchman wanted to object but he knew it was worthless. He sat down next to Lance and leant his elbows on his knees as he started tapping his foot against the floor.

"She's gonna be okay you know." Mick told him as he sat down on the other side of Esteban.

"How do you know that?" Esteban wondered turning to look at the German next to him. It was clear to his two friends that he was taking this really badly as he looked like he was close to tears.

"We just know mate." Lance assured him as he placed a comforting hand on Esteban's shoulder.

Across the room, Lorelai and Dan next to one another as they watched the French driver with hai two friends.

"Whatever was wrong between the two of them, I think it's long gone." Lorelai spoke causing Dan to nod.

"I think he realised that some things are more important." Dan replied as he looked at his driver.

—————