Could I Have Made It Better?

What could we have been? Part 2

// TW mentions of death//

It was any normal day in Cairnholm. The sun was high in the sky, the air was warm with a slightly cool breeze flowing lazily around the trees and the people. The grass swayed and the birds sang and the children laughed. Well, the children that were playing out in the garden. Enoch and Olive were in the basement like usual, Horace was in the library reading one of his many favourites and Emma was in town with Millard, Fiona and Hugh. Claire, Bronwyn and the twins were outside playing. However, their headmistress was sat in her study. From here she could keep an eye on the children in the garden through her window as well as reading some of the letters addressed to her from the council of ymbrynes, which were sat upon her desk as she slowly made her way through each piece of paper.

Her desk was organised, as to be expected. Her desk was made of mahogany and was always kept impeccably clean. She had drawers full of paperwork and files. Upon her desk was a gas lamp, an ink pot, her pen and photos of those she held dear to her. The first on was of her and Miss Avocet, her mentor and teacher, the one she looked up to. The on next to that was a "family photo" as young Claire liked to refer to it by, it included all of the children, even Victor and Abe. Finally, the last photo. It was old, taken in the 1800's, a picture of two girls. One slightly taller than the other. You were in traditional 19th century dresses, corsets and all.

You always complained about wearing those, especially in the summer months. You were the kindest, funniest and most generous person she had ever met. She would send you letters as much as possible, but when the loop came into creation and the increase of loop raids by the wights and hollows, letters were impossible to send. She read every single one you sent to her though, she basked in the scent of your lingering perfume that would stick to the paper, and she would carefully trace the dainty handwriting on the page after re-reading it at least five times. It was crazy how, even after all these years, you still had her wrapped around your perfect fingers. She longed for the day she could see you again, to hold you again, to kiss you again. Every day, every second away from you pained her. She told the kids about you as well.

They all noticed how fast she left the room when Enoch would announce she had a letter after he went to the post office, this was before the loop was created of course. After explaining who you were and how important you were to her all the children, the older ones included, kept on asking her when they could meet you. It was quite endearing. Even miles, and years, away you could still capture people's hearts without trying.

And it completely destroyed her to have to leave you at the academy, she wanted to protect you, from the monsters, from the bad people. She loved you too much to lose you so she had to make a decision. And that decision she has regret since she made it.

Breaking out her reminiscing, Alma looks down at the final piece of paper, a letter. Handwritten and addressed to her and by the looks of the handwriting that Alma had become all too familiar with, it could only mean it was one person, Miss Avocet.

It wasn't uncommon to receive letters from her, yet Alma was still curios as to what spurred on this letter. Tearing off the wax seal, Alma carefully takes the letter out of the envelope, and she unfolds the paper, and she reads.

My Dear Alma,

It wasn't often Miss Avocet used her first name, usually only sticking with "Miss peregrine" for reasons unbeknownst to Alma. But, moving on.

My Dear Alma,

It has been a while since my last letter and I do apologise for that. However, I come to inform you of a terrible occurrence.