I Want To Go Home

The days have long since blurred together. You're a cold, numb version of the person you were before. Your once happy face has turned gloomy and stoic. Your once cheery voice has turned monotone and melancholic, not that you use your voice much anymore. You often remain silent.

You had been sent on a mission by the peculiar war office to track down a stray hollow near Miss Fantails loop. It was a relatively small loop which can be entered through a small cave in a cliff side, a little bit like your home back in Cairnholm. It was home to a Miss Fantails, a short woman only standing at about 5 ft or 5'1". She had a kind face with crows feet around her eyes and laugh lines around her mouth and small, barely evident wrinkles on her forehead. Her hair was reminiscent of Miss Avocets, a mixture of black and white however it also had an undertone of a warm yellow or orange. Her eyes were a kind brown and her skin was a beautiful tan only a shade darker than caramel. Her seaside cottage was far from any other inhabitants. Along with the 58 year old ymbryne, who was actually well over 100, lived her 4 wards. They ranged from ages 3-16 and were all lovely children. The youngest of them, the 3 year old, was named Cassiopeia. She was a lively girl standing at 4'2" with glowing black skin and shining onyx eyes. However, as kind and bubbly as she is, do not disrespect her or her friends and carer because if you do, not only will you have to deal with the regular tantrum of a 3 year old, but a 3 year old able to run faster than any vehicle created. You won't even see her coming. Next, you have Cassiopeia's older brother Orion (both named after the stars per their mother's request). He looked almost identical to his sister. They both had the same skin tone, the same cute round noses and the same coiled black hair that frames their oval faces perfectly. However, Cassiopeia's onyx eyes contrast heavily to Orion's bright purple ones. They were purple due to his magnificent ability to share his dreams with others. For example, if his sister was having a nightmare whilst everyone else was asleep, he would be able to sense the negative emotions radiating of his sibling and be able to telepathically comfort her by sharing his dream or creating a nice new dream for her. The maximum amount of people he's been able to do this with is all 5 residents of the house, himself included. The 8 year old was extremely caring and protective for his age, especially over his younger sister. The next ward would be Marcus, he was a 5'7" pale, skinny boy who was 13 years old with bright white hair and skin not overly much different colour wise. His eyes were a pale blue and his hands were always cold. Nevertheless, this boy may seem creepy when you first meet him, but he has a heart of gold and a smile that could light up a castle. His peculiarity was being able to sense and change other people's moods. He was such a compassionate boy and he would never leave a member of his family alone feeling down. The final ward would be Dune. They were a 16 year old who was shy and awkward at first, but when you get to know them, they are chatty and have the most wonderful of laughs. They stood at an amazing height of 6'8" with a sharp jawline and hazel eyes. Their ginger hair was the colour of apricots and they had gorgeous freckles littering their face. I wouldn't recommend talking bad about them or their family though because their super hearing would catch you out immediately. Contrasting to their sweet nature, they would not hesitate to mess you up if you ever dare to be rude towards who they care about.

You spent a week and three days living with Miss Fantails and her wards and patrolling around their loop and keeping everyone safe. On day 5 of staying there, you noticed some grass moving by the sand dunes even when there was no breeze. So, using the skills your loving wife Alma and your ward Abe had taught you, you crept up behind some nearby rocks and aimed straight forwards towards the moving grass. You then moved your pistol about 10 inches upwards and not long after you pulled the trigger there was a loud thump and an outline of a hollow lying on the ground. You shot it three more times just to be sure though. You stayed another 5 days to make sure there were no other problems. Once you had made the all-clear, you said a teary goodbye to the ymbryne and her wards before you start your long trek back home. 

That was well over two weeks ago now. So, you spent two weeks getting to Miss Fantails loop, 10 days actually there, and now another two weeks back home. That would add up to about 38 days. Which would equate to 1 month and a little bit. That's about 911 hours, 54719 minutes or 3283190 seconds. That long without your family.

Alma wasn't overly fond about you leaving the loop, which is understandable, but she also knows that you have a duty to protect other peculiars from the world and the people in it, peculiar or not. So you left with the promise to her and your children to return back to them. It was a very sorrowful affair.

You're now walking about the streets of London. It's 1835 so you have to have your wits about you, you keep your dagger in a firm grip in your hand and your gun, now fully loaded, is tightly secured via a holster attached to your belt. It's a cold, dark evening and the pavement is still wet from the earlier rain. You're currently walking down a quiet street with your hearing acute and your eyes looking out for movement around you. You know that coming this way would be stupid and dangerous, but all other loops take longer to get home, so this is the only option. Miss Pigeon was reluctant to let you go into the city alone but you reassured her you would be fine. You just want to go home. You know the dangers of going outside at night in a large city like this, but it's not long until you get to another entrance. You would be able to go to Birmingham 1987 and then travel through to Flintshire 1736 and then travel to the sea which would lead you to Cairnholm and then enter back home into the loop.

All you want right now is to be at home with your family, with a nice hot cup of tea, your children giggling, talking, laughing, probably squabbling like usual at the dinner table whilst you and Alma sit at opposite ends of the table eating your food with smiles on your faces. But until then, your journey continues.