Prologue

I gently flipped another page in my book as I leaned against one of the many trees around me. I was far enough into the treeline I couldn't be seen by people passing by but if someone were to enter I would have enough time to hide. I wanted to be out here to get a little bit of escape from the house....from my family.

The move here had been long and didn't stop me from getting punishments from mother while fathers and Marie's backs were turned. She had prepared punishments before we left, because she knew I wasn't going to behave on the trip.

She said I can never behave and that is why she had to punish me. It was a parents duty to correct children and how they act.

But.....I have seen how other families act. I know how my family acts isn't normal. Our family isn't normal at all. There is harsh words and punishments that leave marks, bruises and all kinds of other injuries to my body.

Marie doesn't get them.....but I do. I don't understand why, but one day I will be free. I am seventeen now, almost eighteen. I can make it.

Taking a deep breath I closed the book, leaning my back against the tree as I close my eyes. I had endured this long. I can survive until I turn eighteen. I can be out of the house before the school year is done....I could maybe make friends here too.... Marie had finished highschool and was doing online classes until next semester where she will transfer to the community college in town.

She hadn't chased away anyone with stories and lies....

I was jolted out of my thoughts when I heard a bark and across from me by the treeline was a dog. A golden retriever who was wagging its tail as it came closer to me.

"Hello" I whispered, my voice still hoarse from one of mothers punishments. I had talked to one of the hotel workers too long....she thought I was trying to sell my body to the college boy who had asked if I needed anything since I had been trying to figure out what room we were in. No one had waited as I got things from the car to sleep for the night...ending up with me drinking her favorite cocktail. I had it a few times, but the pain of drinking it never went away.

"Aren't you pretty." The dog got closer and sat next to me. I held my hand out for him to sniff, and he happily did. He gave a bark in greeting, his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth as he looked at me.

"Why are you here..." I muttered to myself as I looked at the collar around his neck. In bold letters, I could see his name, and on the back was the address and a phone number.

"Well, Max, its nice to meet you." I smiled, running my fingers through his fur in greeting. He just wagged his tail as he laid down, his head on my lap. He didn't even seem to care that he laid on top of the book in my lap.

"It seems you're one of my neighbors..." I told the dog as I continued to pet him, a smile stretching across my face. I didn't get many chances to be around animals, but I loved them. I had always wanted a pet, but knew I would never get one until I was out of that house. Mother hated animals and complained about them when they were near.

The dog gave a while when my hand stopped petting him, causing me to laugh, "Well, don't you like attention." I didn't mind. I got lonely sometimes and he seemed like he would be good company.

"I just moved here from Illinois....Father got a better job so here we are." I told the dog, knowing it was silly to talk to him, but it was nice to talk to someone....even if it was an animal.

"Though Mother and Marie, my sister, weren't too happy about it. Father is making more money, it is the only reason mother went along with the move. She doesn't leave the house much anyway unless it has to do with Marie or a doctor's appointment...so it isn't like the move should bother her much." I told Max, who was looking up at me. It was like he understood me, but I shook the thought out of my head.

"I am happy about the move though....it means a fresh start. Marie told lies about me so all of the other kids stayed away from me...or plain out ignored me..." I sighed, I haven't had a friend before because of her. I was always Invisible Sang....or the one whispered and mocked.

"I would like to make a friend." The dog barked at this, causing me to laugh. I stopped short and started to cough, tears coming to my eyes as pain sized my throat. I held my hand to my throat, trying not to sink my nails into the skin. After a few seconds my coughing calmed down and I could hear the whines and a few barks from Max who was sitting beside me now.

"I'm fine...though my throat isn't all the way healed....laughing isn't a good idea right now." I croaked, tears still in my eyes. It would probably heal up in another week tops, but until then laughing should definitely be out.

I took a slow breath in holding it and letting it out, "I'm fine...I'm fine..." I told the dog, but it was more myself. I needed to be more careful with my throat, "I am sorry I surprised you." I gave him a gentle pet on the head, before rubbing his ears with a small smile.

"Good boy," I muttered, seeing him close his eyes and lean into my hand. I paused mid pet as I winced hearing the load shrill voice of my mother and sighed.

"I hope I get to see you again. It was nice to talk to someone...even if you are a dog. You are good company" I gave him one last smile and scratch behind the ears before getting up, book in hand.

I had better see what mother wanted. I hoped Marie didn't blame me for something again. I didn't want to have to deal with hiding bruises before the first day of school for me. Looking at the dog one last time, he gave me a bark before I left him alone.

What I didn't know was this first meeting with a dog was one step in the direction of changing my life....forever.

Authors Note: Sorry the first chapter is a starting chapter. The rest will be longer. I am super excited for this. I have alot of ideas planned out!! I hope you all will enjoy the ride! I am going to try to have another chapter out for tomorrow too! This way you guys can get a longer chapter. I am going to update for sure once a week......or more if I have the time. <3