Chapter 5 - certified genius

A/n: I apologise in advance for any dodgy chemistry!  

*A couple of weeks later*

Y/n has settled in well to life with the Avengers in the compound. She had spent time with Nat everyday, even if only for 15 minutes and the two have become quite close. Y/n also helped Tony in the lab everyday and she reads with Pepper every night before bed.

Tony's POV:

Y/n and I were in the elevator on our way down to the lab. She's been helping me every day, she's pretty helpful actually. She can be quite a crazy kid but in the lab she's mature and sensible. I love how we can spend time together down there, even if Bruce is usually down there too. "Tony?" her little voice broke me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah"

"You know how you and Bruce are working on that project for SHEILD?"

"Yep"

"Well.. I was wondering why you and Bruce didn't add a compound like musettamycin to bond the reactants so that you don't need any activation energy?" I was in shock. How did that just come out of y/n's mouth. I mean we all know she's smart but like I didn't realise she's my kinda level of genius!

"Well.." I thought for a moment. "To be honest kid we hadn't thought of that. That's pretty impressive y/n! I think it would actually make it a lot more efficient. How did you know that?"

"I dunno, it just made sense to me. I guess I've been picking up stuff from you and Bruce in the lab." I gave her a high five.

"I gotta say kid. You're really smart!" I'm so proud of y/n. I mean she really is my kid in every way.

When we got to the lab I let y/n tell Bruce what she thought would improve the reaction. He was just as impressed as I was. We awarded her with her very own pair of lab goggles and a lab coat and invited her  to be an official member of the scientist gang (which only consisted of the three of us). She was so chuffed to be one of us and she was really hyper the rest of the day. I thought her reaction was adorable because it was clear that it meant so much to her that her opinions were valued by us.

In the afternoon while y/n was in Nat's room with Wanda, I went to tell Pepper the morning's events. "Peps?"

"Yeah hun?" She said walking up to me and placing her hands on my chest.

"Have you noticed how intelligent y/n is?"

"..yeah, why?"

"Well earlier we were on our way down to the lab and she suggested something for our project that Bruce and I hadn't even thought of. We went downstairs to try it and it worked perfectly. She's amazing."

"Wow. That really is quite special. To be honest I was meaning to ask you a similar question. I've been reading with her every night and Tony.. she can read anything. Anything and everything I put in front of her she is able to read. We're getting through books really quickly. Yesterday she asked if we could read one of your books about nanotechnology!"

"It's confirmed. Our kid is a genius!"

"Just like her father!" I blushed at that comment. Pepper and I love her so much, I can't wait until the day she calls us Mum and Dad.

"Seriously. I mean her IQ must be 160+! Bruce and I don't need a test to tell us that! ... I wonder how she is with languages?"

"Tony, that's enough she's only 7." Pepper put me straight.

"Okay, okay. I'll drop it."

"Hunny what you think about sending her to school?"

"Peps. You can't be serious! She'll be bored out her mind!"

"Yes but she needs to be with people her own age and make some friends."

"Look, why don't we go talk to her?" I took a few steps out the door. Then I turned back around and said "I'm sure she'd learn much more here though."

"Tony." She gave me a warning look then pushed me back around.

"Okay let's go."