Part 1

She'd been on edge since that morning.

     She knew he'd been planning something. He spent most of all day on his phone, hardly acknowledging her as he came and went. At first she wasn't complaining, since she could use the break from him always having something to fight with her about. 

     She liked the silence, being able to function through the day with her baby without having to scream her tonsils out or crying. It wasn't that she wanted him home, off his phone so they could go back to the scheduled routine she'd known since she been with him. She just didn't trust the silence. She didn't trust him not having shit to say to her all day.

     She didn't know exactly what he was up to. At first when she'd been in the kitchen making breakfast and he walked off to answer his phone in another room she was sure it was another bitch. So sure she left the skillet sizzling while tailing him out the kitchen to the bathroom he took refuge in. She banged on the door loud, not caring about the consequences of him getting mad at her for simply having the balls to question him. 

     She wanted to know what the sneaky shit was about, and was ready to tell him how if he was disrespectful enough to cheat on her in her face and the same home she and her child slept in he could go be with her. 

     They had a similar scene play out almost every time he was caught in the past. She'd pack a bag with enough things for her and her baby, he'd say she wouldn't ever walk away from him alive, she wouldn't back down, being chest to chest to him while she begged him to do what he threatened. He never did anything initially. She always thought she won. Until the moment she turned away from him again to continue packing, before she even got the chance to crown herself and kiss the platinum medallion, he would strike her with so much force it'd knock her down. 

     The outcome of their fights were the same every time. And knowing she wouldn't get any different results today, if you asked her she couldn't tell you why she approached the bathroom door knowing what would come next.

     He snatched the door open before she could knock more than once. Still, he said nothing, only giving her a soul snatching look menacing enough for her to leave it alone. She let the smell of burning bacon and smoke be the reason she went back to the kitchen, and not the fact that he made her fear for her life in that moment with that look. 

     It continued on like that for a few more hours, him on and off his phone, coming and going without saying as much as a goodbye. And her attending to her baby while steadily watching.

     Something wasn't right. And the more time that went on, she knew this wasn't him cheating. It was him plotting.

     It had been when she sat on the couch, her baby standing on her lap bouncing while watching cartoons over his shoulder, when he finally said a full sentence to her. 

     "Pack the baby up, we finna' go see somebody." It was more of a command then anything. 

     Of course she questioned his request, being that it didn't tell her much, and it involved her and her child. It didn't feel right to her. So she asked, "Why?" hoping his answer would put her at ease. 

     He walked away from the living room, heading to the bedroom with no answer for her.

     So she picked up her baby, holding him to her chest while following him. "Why you ain't say shit to me all day and then come in here telling me some shit like that? What you mean, we finna' see somebody?" She raised her voice since he pretended he didn't see or hear her. 

     "Just do it, a'ight." He said it calmly, which was surprising to her since anytime one of them got loud the other always matched the energy.

     Just like the look he gave her earlier, something about the tone in his voice when he told her a second time made her follow his orders.