Part 1

"You want to split up your team?" Mrs. Marsigliese asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes. If it's allowed," Luca answered with determination; he had with him a bicycle that he found at the bottom of the beach, near the coast.

"Luca?" someone asked behind him; he recognized the voice immediately.

Giulia was approaching them, dressed in her swimming suit, cap, and a visor; she was with her bicycle; the girl intended to tell Mrs. Marsigliese that she would be competing alone after the boys left; she didn't expect to see Luca back.

"What are you doing here?" she asked worriedly.

"Don't worry. I'll race on my own."

At hearing that, she saw him as if he was crazy because he was! What was he thinking?! There was no way he could compete without revealing his identity! And the whole town was gathered in the square if they saw him in his amphibian form, they would not hesitate to hunt him down; whatever place his parents wanted to send him to, it couldn't be bad enough to risk his life.

"You can if you want, but I don't recommend it."

"That won't be necessary," someone said behind them.

Luca and Giulia opened their eyes, unable to believe what they were hearing, they slowly turned around, and there he was:

"We'll race together," Alberto declared, his arms crossed, and he had an earnest expression; he didn't seem happy or angry.

Giulia clenched her teeth as she looked down; ever since Luca left her house, she had wanted to apologize to Alberto for her reaction at the beach; but didn't expect to be able to since Giulia didn't think of ever seeing the boys again. And now that Alberto had returned- Giulia didn't feel ready, there was a lot she wanted to tell him, but she still felt ashamed.

Luca didn't know what to say, after last night, he didn't expect Alberto to come back, he was sure that his friend wouldn't forgive him until Luca got the Vespa, but there he was, obviously still upset, but Alberto had decided to support him.

Mrs. Marsigliese just looked from one child to another; clearly, something was wrong; the day they signed up, they all seemed to have great chemistry, but now they all looked uneasy, and why had Luca wanted to split the team out of nowhere?

Easy, they had a fight, it wasn't that surprising, all friends had one from time to time, but in the end, those discussions helped to strengthen the bonds, she just hoped that it didn't affect their performance in the race, she didn't want to handle the cup to Ercole again.

"It will be best if you compete as a team," she told them; the three turned to see her, "especially considering your background, Giulia."

Marsigliese saw her narrowing an eyebrow; Giulia glared at her and growled.

Luca turned to Alberto as he went with him.

"Alberto, what are you doing here?"

Alberto sighed as he looked away; he wasn't ready for this either.

"Look, I appreciate what you want to do- but I can't let you risk your life," Alberto finally looked at him, smiling.

Luca's betrayal still hurt him, but now he could see that he also acted wrong, and if Luca was willing to risk so much for their friendship, it was clear that he deserved his forgiveness, and by helping him, Alberto would earn his redemption.

Luca smiled; despite everything, Alberto wasn't going to abandon him, he didn't know if that was his way of showing him that he forgave him, but the fact that he was there was already an advance.