Chapter Three - The Sewage Pipe

"We're on an island," said Selene, standing on the beach as the sun rose over the waves, the water brown and dull as it rose up and rocked over the sand.

"That doesn't mean we can't find Vampire sewage here," said Xander.

Selene shivered and Xander looked at her and slipped off the velvet smoking jacket he wore and placed it over her shoulders. It had been Hector's, and for a moment she thought she could still smell him on it; but no, it was too dirty, too full of Xander's scent and sweat to smell like Hector anymore.

She pulled it round and smiled at him, thankful for the extra fabric to protect against the sea-salt breeze. He stood next to her, his mouth firm and his jaw tense, watching the waves glisten, rippling a murky reflection of the rising sun. The cotton of his shirt inflated in the breeze and pressed against the muscles in his arms as he crossed the over his chest.

"We can filter it right down so you won't be able to see it, and then when we go inside you won't have a desirable human scent, so no punter would choose you above any other girl," he continued.

"Can you guarantee it?"

He looked down at his feet, digging the toe of his right shoe into the sand, forcing it to burrow deeper and deeper, throwing up dark lumps.

"No. I can't guarantee it." He looked up at her, his brow tense. "If I could guarantee your safety I would. But I can't. I can't guarantee anything."

"Well, we have to try anyway," she said.

"You don't want to run away?" He asked.

"What?" Selene turned to face him, turning away from the waves for the first time.

"No part of you wants to run? To leave? To try and live somewhere else, somewhere no one would find us?" His eyes were wide as he stared at her.

"No. I don't want to run."

"You want to find him," Xander muttered, filling in her blanks. She nodded.

"I think he's here. I can feel him," she said, pulling the smoking jacket tighter about her.

"Don't get your hopes up," he said, uncrossing his arms and moving his hair off his forehead with a flattened palm.

"I've found it," came Virgil's voice, shouting at them from further down the beach. He raised an arm and waved, and Selene waved back, keen to distract Xander from their previous topic of conversation. They both began to run towards him.

"Be quiet," said Xander, his breath puffing from the sprint he had taken down the beach to reach Virgil.

"Sorry," Virgil panted back, "I was excited. I've found the sewage pipe. It's just round the headland, and it pumps right out into the sea. It's not far away."

"Could you see Epershand?" Asked Selene.

"Yes. Up on the cliff. It's incredible; a completely impenetrable fortress. I think the entrance for prisoners must be further round the coast. We could probably walk there."

"Can we go?" Asked Selene, turning to Xander, although why she was asking his permission she wasn't entirely sure.

"Not yet. Did you bring-"

"Yes, here," answered Virgil, throwing down his pack and taking a bottle from inside it. He unscrewed the lid and the smell of sewage filled the air.

"Great. Bring it up to the cave, we have to filter it as soon as possible. We can dilute it with seawater."

They trotted up the beach and back to the cave, and Xander set about the filtering process.

*

"I don't want to stay outside. We won't even be able to keep in contact. I'll have no idea where you are," said Virgil, as they stood in the cave, their skin recently painted with an invisible layer of sewage.