Prologue

-Elena's POV-

Red. Red red red...

I stared down at my hands. Stained with the usual red color of blood. What I wasn't used to was the feeling of a dead, cold body in my hands.

"I-I- Damon- I gotta call- I gotta call Damon..." I shuffled to grab my phone, as the streets were empty but I still moved away into the trees. I gotta hide in case someone drives by.

They're nearby. Damon and Stefan... live nearby.

I dial Damon's phone number and hear it ring. Once... twice...

"Miss me already?"

Tears start streaming down my face immediately. "I need your help." My voice was shaking, I didn't know what to do.

I killed someone. Someone that had people he loved. Someone that had people that loved him...

"Where are you?" Cluttering could easily be heard on the other side of the phone and I knew he was moving around frantically.

"I'm down the hill, by the empty street- where you taught me to feed... please don't tell Stefan... not yet- he- he already-" he already looks at me like I'm a monster.

"I'm on my way, Elena, move the body out of the street, hide it and stay hidden until I get there, I'm on my way." The car started up in the background and I put my head down, doing nothing but crying because it was all I could do.

I take a deep breath and hide my face. "Okay... okay..."

I can hear Damon talking to me on the phone, trying to convince me to stay on the line. "Elena, you'll be okay- just stay-"

I hung up.

This sucks...

...

Damon's car pulls up not shortly after and I look up, tears now dried on my face.

"Hey, Elena... look at me, look at me." He reaches out to look at my face. His fingers hold my chin up and I pull away. "Where is the body?"

"I left it on the street-"

"You what? Elena- you're- what-" he didn't sound upset, more so confused. "Anyone could've driven by and seen it- what would you have done?"

And just like a child being yelled at, I start crying again, moving to stand on my knees and reach out to Damon. "Damon... please, not right now. I wanna... I don't wanna be here."

He stops and looks down at me. "Get in the car, close your eyes for a second, I'll deal with this. I promise you'll be okay."

"Damon, I killed someone. He's dead. I'm- I turned into a monster- the one thing I promised was that I wouldn't kill someone and look at me- I-" I closed my eyes shut and tried to get rid of the tears. "I never wanted to do this."

"You'll be okay, come on, get up."

He lifted me up carefully, making me lean against him. His hand laid on my hip and he held my hand on his shoulder.

I cried quietly, avoiding the body while my eyes looked at the empty streets in the opposite direction.

"Stefan is on his way. I told him, I had to. Now, you can decide to compel him to forget or you can be honest with him because we both know how terrible I am with all that emotional stuff compared to him." He knows I hate to compel them. Damon himself has avoided me countless times on occasions where he seems to forget one thing or another.