Epilogue

Seven years later...

            The memories were still intact and they will never be effaced from my mind. It all started in a field of flowers with two little kids playing and laughing. I will never forget that.

            I never regret anything because it brought me to him. I could've done it differently but I know I wouldn't change it.

            It's been seven years since he placed that daisy in my locker. It's been seven years since I finally realized I had fallen in love with my best friend. It's been seven years since Deliah and I drove all the way to California for him.

            Here, I am. Seven years older. He still complements me about how beautiful I've become. He still kisses me randomly. I don't regret choosing him. Ever.

            We now in a huge house in wide, open space, just the way we dreamt of when we were still little kids.

            I was standing on our porch steps, reminiscing the past years.

            After the moment on his brother's porch, we talked for the longest time. Delilah was in her car on the driveway and drove away, leaving us alone together. We went inside the house and laid in the living room, cuddled in a light blanket, and holding hands.

            He asked me, "What took you so long?"

            I giggled and looked up into his eyes. "I've been so stupid to not see it was you all along. But, my heart was just confused. It took a while before it finally told me the right answer."

            "What did it say?" he whispered.

            I smiled and kissed him on the cheek. "Love isn't simple. But it always leads us to do the right thing."

            He smiled genuinely down at me. "I'm so glad your heart answered."

            I grinned widely and we pressed our foreheads together, staring at each other. "Me too, Jake. Me too."

            The day Jake proposed to me was the best day of my life. I remember standing in the middle of the field. Just us, with the same stars we've watched come and go every night, feeling insignificant to the endless sky of stars and bright moon.

            We were sitting on the same field on a blanket, staring up at the sky side-by-side, hand-in-hand. My head was resting on his chest and we were practically intertwined.

            "We were in the same place that night when we first kissed," he reminded me.

            I smiled to myself. "I know, Jake. I can't believe I loved you even before I knew you were my secret admirer."

            He chuckled beside me. "But, here we are. Same stars, same beautiful starlit night."

            "Yeah," I agreed. I took a deep breath and kept my eyes closed then released a heavy sigh. "You just left me with a daisy and a letter. Then, Cam came and I thought he was you. I was so disappointed," I whispered.

            We were silent for so long. Then, he squeezed my hand.

            "Does this disappoint you?"

            I opened my eyes finding a daisy in my hand. There was a diamond ring at the end of the stem tied with string.

            I looked up at Jake. "Oh my God," I gasped, tears welling in my eyes.