The Spirit of Giving ~

Hey, I wrote this for school and I am going to share it with everyone!

Link for picture:http://browse.deviantart.com/photography/people/children/?q=littlegirl&order=9&offset=24#/d1vm53y

_______________________________________________________________________

Soon after the baker left, Gary, with an icing hat and scarf, came out of a frost bitten bush right outside the bakery.  Gary paced back and forth, trying to figure out how to even get to Smithville, Texas.  He tried to think, but his mind was overflowing with thoughts.  Gary, the gingerbread man, went for a walk through snowy Roseville.

He saw many things throughout his walk.  He saw boys and girls, all wrapped up in puffy coats, wool mittens, and hats, coming from church.  One house Gary visited had an army of snowmen in the front yard.  The house across the street had children in a snow ball fight.  He wanted to join, but Gary walked on.  One block down, Gary peered into a window of a house.  Two children were sitting by the fire, sipping hot cocoa with bellies full of Christmas dinner.  Gary also stopped by the frozen pond where children were skating while others went sledding down a big hill where the sun was sparkling on the fresh blanket of snow like a lit up Christmas Tree.  Gary imagined himself sliding on the glassy ice with the wind gripping his icing scarf, since the concept of sledding frightened him.

Gary, liking Christmas, walked on enjoying the smells of fresh cookies and pine in the air.  Hearing children laughing and church bells ringing, Gary forgot all about wanting to be the largest gingerbread man.

Gary walked until he came to a small house.  He peered inside the dusty window to find a small little girl, no older that four.  This house was different though: no cookies, no presents, not even Christmas dinner.  Gary hoped that he could make this little girl’s Christmas special, just like the other boys and girls.  He hopped down from the window sill and headed for the door to get a closer look.  Once inside, he quietly hid behind a table, very close to the little girl.  She had two thin, brown pigtails and a red dress with a bow that seemed a size to small.

Gary knew exactly what to do.  He ran to the kitchen and found a white plate from the counter; he also grabbed a pencil and a napkin.  On the napkin Gary wrote, For the little girl.  To get the little girl’s attention, Gary tapped the counter five times.  He quickly lay still on the plate.  The little girl looked up.  She ran to the counter and saw the gingerbread man.  She smiled and took the plate off the counter.  Looking around, she grabbed Gary off the plate and took off for the stairs.  She went though a door which Gary thought must be her room.  The room was small, with a twin bed, a nightstand, and a dresser.  Gary was put on her nightstand, and the girl pulled out a square box from under her bed.  The box read Jane’s Treasure Box in bright pink puffy paint.  There were sparkles and pictures Jane drew on the box.

Jane set the box on her bed and opened it.  “Now Mr. Gingerbread, this is your home.  I only put very special things in this box.  You are very special to me.  I never had a gingerbread man before.”  She gently put placed Gary in the box, “Be good now.  I will visit you, don’t worry.”  Jane closed the box and left the room.  Gary could hear little feet running down the stairs.  He was very happy that he to be considered “Jane’s treasure”.  Gary walked around in the box for awhile, thinking about his day.  He yawned, feeling very happy and fell into a deep sleep.

Jane took Gary out every day.  She played with him.  She even put him on her shelves to be displayed.  Gary loved Jane and felt like he just won the Most Loved Gingerbread Man award.  He was happy.

Many years later, Gary is still in Jane’s Treasure Box, with his icing hat and scarf, for Jane’s children to see.