Chapter 28 - Overcoming Fears

Like Johanna and I had promised we accompanied Finnick to district 4. Actually today was the first time the three of us were on a train ride together. I enjoyed spending time with the two of them together, because Finnick was one of the few people Johanna really came along with. Maybe because Finnick did not take most things too seriously.

"Max is going to freak out, when you two suddenly show up", Finnick declared happily. 

The four-year-old adored Johanna more than anyone else and she loved the little boy too, although she refused to admit that. She usually said that he did not bother her, which was already a compliment. 

Suddenly someone sat down in front of me, next to Finnick. "Hey, (f/n). Didn't see you for a long time", he smiled sadly at me. 

"Jake?", I replied in disbelief. 

Without thinking about it my hands moved over the table to take his hands in mine. Tears stung in my eyes. "So you're alive. How are you and your family doing?", I asked him immediately. 

It felt odd to sit here and talk with each other. We had been close friends before my first games. He seemed to be from another life. 

"We're alright. District 11 is better than ever thanks to your help. You're a great representative." 

I shook my head. "You fought yourselves. You worked for it and totally deserve the improvement." 

Jake's eyes uncomfortably moved to my left. Johanna was sending him a death glare. 

I let go of his hands and hugged her arm instead. "It's fine, Jo. This is Jake, my childhood friend", I introduced him to her. 

"Has she always been so weird and reckless?", Finnick asked Jake laughing. 

"Not at all! She was very timid, though that changed over time. I guess because she got such a huge family", he enlightened the others. 

"By the way where are you going?", I wondered. 

"I've some business in district 1 to do. So I guess I gotta go now", Jake declared as the train had just stopped at the station. 

"Come over when you're in 11 again. Nice to meet you, Johanna and Finnick." 

"He seems like a nice guy. Why aren't you in contact anymore?", Finnick questioned. 

"We were pretty close, but that was a long time ago. I doubt he would understand me now", I considered. 

"I can't stand him", Johanna mumbled. 

"Why?", I wondered. 

"He came here and sat down without even asking", she noted. 

"You would have done the same", Finnick interjected. 

"That's exactly why!", she clarified making Finnick and me laugh.

 Several hours later we finally arrived in district 4. Johanna and I did not even have any luggage as we were always getting everything at the Capitol anyway. But we should still have some of our stuff at Annie's and Finnick's home. 

It took us a while to get to victor's village as it was a pretty long walk. My heart hammered in my chest as the darkness started surrounding us. Finnick looked anxious as well. So I inched closer to him and took his hand. For once Johanna just accepted this without being jealous. She knew why we were afraid of the darkness. I had told her everything that had happened in the dark tunnels of the Capitol during the war. 

When we arrived at our friend's home, the lights were still on. Finnick had told Annie that he would return today, but not that he would bring us along.