Chapter 13 - Final Plan

"How did Finnick get through the wall?", Peeta wondered. 

"He didn't. They won't get out of there before the hour is over. It's pure torture. You are surrounded by the desperate cries of the people you care about." 

"You were ...?" Peeta shot me a sympathetic look. 

I simply nodded. "I heard Johanna cry out for help and thought she was in danger. Then I was trapped", I recalled. 

Johanna looked at me, lost in her thoughts. 

I told them what I had experienced before our reunion and they told me what had happened to them. 

Katniss and Finnick had returned to the wall long ago and tried to block the screams out. There was not anything we could do to help them. They did not even pay attention to us anymore. 

When the hour was over Peeta was immediately by Katniss' side. "The hour is over! The hour is over! It's alright", he tried soothing her as Katniss jolted upwards horrified. 

Meanwhile Johanna was talking to Finnick who was staring blankly ahead while brushing off Johanna's attempts to help him. 

"They won't touch Prim. Okay?", Peeta comforted Katniss. 

"Your fiance is right. The whole country loves your sister", Johanna agreed which was odd. At least until she continued: "If they tortured her or did anything to her, forget the districts. There would be riots in the damn Capitol." The irony of it all. 

Johanna grinned at Katniss. I was not sure if grinning was just a part of Johanna's personality or her way to cope. Instead of breaking down she grinned and yelled. Though I already had a feeling how this was going to end. I had a déjà-vu moment from her interview. 

My assumption turned out to be right as Johanna provocatively turned to the camera and yelled: "Hey! How does that sound, Snow? What if we ... what if we set your backyard on fire? You know you can't put everybody in here!" 

Everyone was staring at Johanna like she was crazy. Maybe she was. Maybe we all were. 

"What?", she asked the others, her voice sounding unusually soft and sad. "He can't hurt me. There's no one left that I love." 

Katniss looked at Johanna shocked and hurt. Probably she had never considered why Johanna behaved like she did. 

Johanna sighed. "I will get some water." 

No one dared to move as we watched Johanna disappear inside the jungle. 

I got a hold of myself and ran after her. "Johanna!", I called out. 

Due to her body language I noticed that she was surprised I was following her, but she kept moving. 

"Ouch!", I cried out as I had stepped onto something. Damn missing shoes! 

At least Johanna waited for me now. "What's the deal? Do you have pity with me now or what?" 

"Not pity. I just care about you, okay?" 

"But it's true. I have no one to return to. The only people I'm close to are Finnick and you. Even if I made it out of here, I would be all alone again", she declared. 

She was right. We could not make it out of here together. It would be best if Katniss survived. She had people to return to and had a great influence on the rebels. Was that the reason Johanna had tried to save her from the water earlier? And why she had dragged Beetee and Wiress along to bring them to Katniss? Without thinking about it I kissed her. 

Johanna kissed back for a moment before pulling away with a grin. She cocked an eyebrow at me. "Didn't we break up?" She was talking so quietly that the gamemakers would not be able to catch up her words.