2. Welcome to Narnia

The next morning Diana was woken up by a soft knock on the cabin door. She opened her puffy eyes and sat up in the bed. The cabin she had been placed in for the journey was a small but very cozy room. She pulled on a robe and opened the door.

"Good morning your highness, I've brought you breakfast." A friendly voice said as soon as she opened the door. It was the faun that had stood next to her father when he had told her the news. A friendly smile danced on his lips.

"Thank you." She said with her monotone voice, as she took the tray he was offering. "I do hope that you are comfortable in your cabin your highness, and if you need anything please don't hesitate to ask." The faun said, earning a half smile and a nod from the princess who then quickly retreated into her room again.

She saw her reflection when she had turned around from the door and sighed. She looked awful. Her golden shoulder length hair was a mess, and her green eyes were red and puffy from the tears.

She put the tray down on the small desk that was in the room and opened her luggage to change out of her night gown. She quickly combed her hair and expertly put it up in a messy but elegant bun, just to get it away from her face.

She wasn't really hungry but she ate some of the fruit that was on the tray anyways, and then went out to the deck to breathe in the salty air. She stood at the very front of the ship and closed her eyes feeling the soft breeze against her cheeks. The breeze caught the little hairs that were sticking out of her bun and made them dance around her face.

"Lovely isn't it?" Diana jumped at the sudden voice. She hadn't noticed that the friendly faun had walked up and now stood next to her. She just nodded and turned her gaze back to the horizon not really knowing what to say.

"I couldn't help but notice that you seemed a little upset this morning." The faun said. Diana looked at him and gave him her best smile. "I am just sad to leave my home, that's all." She lied her voice hoarse from the previous night. The faun did not look convinced, but did not want to pressure the princess either.

"Tumnus, we need you over here!" A wolf stood at a low table surrounded by different creatures. "Well I better get going now your highness, but please do ask if you need anything." The faun said before leaving her side.

Diana felt embarrassed that she had not thought to ask the faun his name before and was grateful that she had heard the wolf shout his name.

The journey was long and Diana spent most of it in her cabin, but she did manage to learn most of the crew's names when she was up on the deck. She quite enjoyed listening to them when they were singing cheerful sea chanties that she had never heard before, or when they would tell her Narnian tales. Her favorite story was of the great battle against the white witch, and she loved hearing about Aslan.

After a bout 2 weeks, they finally arrived at their destination. Diana was standing at the front of the ship, which had become her favorite place on the ship. She was amazed by the view she had before her. There was a beautiful green forest and mountains, and somewhere in the middle was a magnificent castle towering proudly above the trees.
None of the stories that the crew had told her on the way came close to describing the beauty of the place.

However her excitement soon faded when she saw four people standing at the dock to receive them. The reality of why she was there hit her like a ton of bricks, and her heart sank.

The ship docked and was secured with ropes before a bridge was put out and Diana was helped down to the dock. She stood there awkwardly in front of the four strangers that she assumed were the kings and queens of Narnia. She didn't dare look any of them in the eyes.

"Welcome to Narnia, I am High King Peter, the magnificent." A tall man with blonde hair reached out a welcoming hand. She took it wearily and curtsied, still not looking directly at him. "And I am High Queen Susan, the gentle." Probably the prettiest woman Diana had ever seen reached out an elegant hand and Diana took it, again curtsying.

"King Edmund." A man with wide shoulders and raven black hair reached out a hand, but unlike the first two he did not have a welcoming smile. Diana took his hand and curtsied.

"I'm Queen Lucy, oh I've been looking so much forward to meeting you, I'm sure we will become quick friends!" A younger girl reached out and grabbed Diana's hand in both of hers shaking it enthusiastically, with a big grin on her face. Diana could not help but smile at the young queen's enthusiasm.

"Im terribly sorry but I don't think i quite caught your name." The high queen asked with a gentle smile. "Oh I'm sorry your majesty, my name is Diana, youngest princess of the Isles." She spoke with her monotone voice, again curtsying.

King Edmund whispered something to his eldest sister and she slapped his arm in response. "Edmund don't be rude." She said with a pointed glare at her brother. "I'm terribly sorry for that, my brother just forgets his manners sometimes." She said her expression changed instantly when she turned to speak to Diana.

"Come now, let's all behave. We should show the princess to the castle, I'm sure the journey was tiring and she would want to unpack in her room." High king Peter intervened before things got worse. He turned to lead the way to the castle.

"Is that all you have with you?" Susan asked, clearly confused by the single suitcase that Diana had with her. "Yes your majesty. I do not own very much, despite the title." Diana answered trying not to sound sarcastic. "Oh we will have to take you to the market one day then, they have the most magnificent dresses in all the colors you could ever imagine!" Lucy sounded excited as she walked forward linking her arm with Diana's and pulling her along toward the castle. Diana jumped at the contact but pretended like she hadn't, not wanting to offend the young queen.