14

During the weekend, you were wandering the local shopping plaza by yourself, as Sunset had gone to the rehearsal of the Rainbooms, the name of the band that the girls had put together. You were passing through the food court when you heard a commotion. You slipped through the gathering crowd to find a couple of guys about your age surrounding a girl with light blue skin, who was looking rather scared.

??? 1: "Hey pretty, I heard that your sister enjoys the company of men. What about you?"

???: "I-uh-umm..."

??? 2: "No reason to panic, honey. We're just here to have a bit of fun. You could join us if you wanted.~"

???: "I'm just waiting for my family..."

Volt: 'This doesn't look good. Technically, it's none of my business, but this won't sit well with me if I ignore it...' You step out out of the crowd, heading for the conflict. "Ahem! Excuse me, but I believe that you're bugging my sister."

The guys turn to look at you, while the girl is giving off a confused aura.

??? 1: "Does it look like we were talking to you, pal?"

??? 2: "My friend's right, buddy. You'd better start making tracks. Besides, you and her look nothing alike."

???: "We're family in every way but blood. My parents are gone."

Volt: "As are mine. We look out for each other, so unless you want things to become personal, you should take your own advice and move along."

??? 1: "That's it!" The shorter, wider guy swung at you, and you instinctively catch his fist. "How did-" His question was cut off as you spun him around with his wrist in your hand, and pinned him against the wall with his arm behind his back.

Volt: "Will someone get some security staff, please?!" A few adults scramble off to do so.

??? 2: "Why you sneaky little..." His friend hit you in the back of your head, causing it to hit the pinned guy's head on the wall. He dropped to his knees on the floor, moaning in pain. You shook your head, clearing out the irritation.

This guy was apparently brighter than his companion, thinner, and taller. He backed up, making room. Still, he charged you and you stepped aside, knowing that he'd be desperate to hit you. He swung around and you dodged his fist again as you grabbed his arm, swung him over your shoulder, and onto the ground, stunning him with a mild thud from the impact.

Volt: "Don't go blaming me for neutralizing you two; you swung first, so that was self defense." You dust off the front of your shirt and sleeveless jacket, and approach the girl. "Come on, you're probably going to need something to soothe your nerves after that." The girl nods, and follows you closely.

* * *

The two of you sit at a table opposite the incident so you can explain yourself.

Volt: "I do apologize for getting involved, but I think that the siblings cover story was bought by the crowd. I wasn't lying about my parents being dead, though. I'm Voltage Mainspring. May I know your name?"

???: "I'm Sonata Dusk. Thank you so much for saving me back there. My sisters tend to concentrate too much on our primary objective, and when I'm trying to enjoy some time to myself, those things tend to happen."

Volt: "Do they happen often?"

Sonata: "Very much so..." She notices your pendant hanging from your neck. "What is that?"