chapter fifteen

open sea;

3rd person POV

A loud knock on the door made Joan open her eyes. She felt Spot still laying on top of her, his head on her chest and his arm wrapped around her side. A smile laid on her lips as she slightly stroke over his hair. "Spot?" She whispered softly to him. He crunches his eyebrows together and shook his head. "Someone's at the door, Spot." He slowly opened up his eyes and looked up to her with a smile on his face. "Mornin princess." She laughed a little and looked around the room to see their clothes all over the floor. Spot slowly sat up, taking a fresh pair of underwear from next to the bed. He pulled it up, walking towards the door. His hair was messy and he had to stretch before opening the door. Leaning against the doorframe he looked at the person standing outside. Joan hid underneath the covers. "Mornin' boss. Some of the 'hattan boys are here." Spot looked behind the boy to see Race, Kid and Mush standing around the dock. "Be right there." He closed the door and looked at Joan who just popped her head out of the cover. She send him an innocent smile to which he rolled his eyes before leaning over her, placing a soft kiss on her lips. "You should go see your guards." She got up, wrapping the sheet around her body. As she took her blouse, she turned towards Spot who was just buttoning up his shirt. As he saw what the girl was holding up, a grin was placed on his face. "Sorry, doll-face." He grabbed one of his shirts from his shelve, holding it towards the her. As she finished putting on the clothes, she grabbed a comb from one of the boxes, brushing trough her hair. "Yous look good with me clothes on." Spot wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, placing a kiss on her temple. She placed her hand on his cheek before turning around. "I should get goin." The two of them left the room, Spot following after her with some distance.

"Joan, we need to go, Jack's back!" Race walked up to her, looking at Spot standing a little offside watching them. But as he heard that Jack was back, he got closer to the group. "You two made up?" Race send Joan a soft smile to which she turned to the man behind her. "What's with Jackey-Boy?" Spot got closer, spit shaking hands with Race. "He helped David and they's talkin' right now. Tomorrow, this Strike will be over." Joan had a big smile on her lips. "Let's get goin then." Kid gave her a smile as she gave him a short hug. "Mornin'." He looked away from her to look at Spot who was watching the two of them with a dead glare shooting towards Blink. "You's back in?" Mush looked at Spot with hope in his eyes. The Brooklyn man grabbed the handle of his cane, stepping around the dock. "We will see. You's should go now." He nod his head towards the end of the docks, showing them that he wants them to go back to Manhattan. "See you around, Conlon." Joan gave him a nod which he returned before he went back inside the lodge, the Manhattan group walking back to their own lodge.

"Joan, could you show Pete the way to the harbor?" She nodded and gave her grandfather and John a polite smile before she went outside, Pete following after her. Spots shirt laid loose around her body, nearly reaching her mid thighs. "Where have you been?" She looked up to the man as they were walking down the street on their way downtown. "Brooklyn. Spot and I had stuff to talk 'bout." She hid her hands inside her pockets, kicking a stone around the street. "What's with you and that boy?" She laughed a little at the man as she shrugged. "We's known each other since the beginning of the strike. Had to talk to him 'bout how we're goin' to continue without Jack." They turned around a corner, more people filling the streets. As they were walking trough the streets, people were talking loudly, some even drinking beer at this time. "I never understood the germans. Always drinking. I stopped in Hamburg last winter. It's a beautiful city, just the people are different from here." Joan enjoyed listening to Pete's stories. He has been all over the world already. As he was talking about his travels, she remembered what she had promised Spot. "Pete?" She looked up to him. He stopped looking around to lock eyes with her. "Do you think there's a possibility for Spot to get a Job on one of your ships?" He chuckled and shook his head a little. "The king of Brooklyn wants to get an actual job?" She nodded and looked at the ground for some seconds. "He deserves a better life. He's had it rough, Pete. I know you's don't like 'im but-.." Pete stopped walking and grabbed her wrist. "I never said that I don't like him. I'll see what I can do for him. He means a lot do you, doesn't he?" She had a soft smile on her lips as she nodded slightly. Pete returned the action as they continued walking down the street which lead them out of little Germany, towards the harbor.