chapter five

Obsession;

3rd person

Race was the last one standing, with Jack and the others. He was about to take off when Jack asked who was going to go to Brooklyn. "Are yous scared of Brooklyn?" He shook his head and gave the crowd a small laugh. "It ain't Brooklyn we're scared of... Just Spot Conlon makes us a little noivous..." Boots walked up to Jack, whom wrapped an arm around the boy. "Well, then the two of us are going over there. Spot ain't someone to be scared of. And Davey here will join us!" David and Boots looked at each other. One scared of Spot, the other scared to go anywhere else but Manhattan. "You take Joan wit yous. Ain't like 'er and Spot don't like eachoda." Race grinned at the girl who was about to throw a punch at him. Jack looked down at the girl with a confused smile. "Don't know what dats s'posed to mean but sure, Joan yous comin' wit us!" He wrapped his other arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer. "Ain't no way." She got out of the awkward embrace and walked up to Race. "And yous better shut ya mouth before you regret sayin' sometin." Race just threw his hands in the air and followed after some of the Newsies who were leaving, getting to Midtown.

"What's going on here?" David and Joan stood away from Jack and the others, to get some quietness. A tall man stood in front of them with some paper and a pen in his hands. "We're on Strike." David said, still not sure about it. "What kind of Strike boy?" Joan pushed herself in front of David, looking up at the stranger. "Da Newsie Strike. They raised da prices." She pointed behind her to show him the world building. "Can I talk to you guys?" Joan shrugged her shoulders and pulled Jack by his sleeve towards the new person. "And you are?"

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

The small group sat in a dinner, each of them with a plate of coleslaw sitting on the table in front of them. Joan wasn't really hungry after realizing that she was about to go to Brooklyn. Jack was the only one knowing about the reason behind her fear. He was there that night;

"C'mon Jackey! It ain't that fare.." Joan, about 14, started running over the end of the bridge, Jack Kelly following behind her closely. They heard about Ted Roosevelt visiting Brooklyn for his campaign. After his escape, Jack always wanted to see the person who helped him without even knowing about it. "Calm ya horses, goirl!" Joan looked behind her to see Jack taking a break from running. Before she was able to turn back around, she bumped into someone and fell on the dirty floor, loosing her hat. "Sorrey.." She looked up and saw non other than Oscar and Morris Delancey. "Fuck." Their money was now gone, just like her interest in Brooklyn. With bruises and a black eye, Jack and Joan made their way slowly back to Manhattan.

"Joan? Yous there?" being dragged out of her thoughts, the girl looked up to see Boots, Davey, Jack and Denton all looking at her. "hm?" She shook her head and put on a small smile. "Denton here wants ta write 'bout da Strike!" She looked at the man who just handed some money to the waiter. "Aren't you scared?" She laughed and Denton started writing down something. "Look at us, we's shakin'" The man gave her a small laugh and nod. Trying to read what he wrote, Joan pushed herself up a little. But before she was able to catch a glimps, Denton placed the paper inside his bag and stood up. "Well, I will see you guys in the future." And with that he left. Joan looked at her still full plate and pushed it away. "So, we's goin' ta Brooklyn?" Everyone got up from their seats and got on their way to Brooklyn.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Joan POV

I was walking behind Jack and Boots with Davey on my side. He was quiet for most of the time, which I enjoyed a lot. "Have you ever been to Brooklyn before?" I looked up at the boy, not stopping in my tracks. "Yeah, a few times." I lied. Davey gave me a nod and pushed his hands inside his pockets, kicking a stone just to repeat the action. "Yous don't seem lika newsie." I kept my eyes on the ground, realizing we were already passing the bridge. I took a look behind me to see Manhattan and the street on which I was on with Spot last night. "My father got hurt at work, so Les and I got out of school to help with some money." I smiled at him, a genuine smile. "Dats real nice of ya Davey" I lightly bumped against him, brushing some loose hair behind my ear. Davey returned the action, and we started to laugh a little. "What about you? Are you selling papes?" I shook my head and looked down at the water. "I'm workin' at da lodging house whenever I'm not in school."