Chapter 20

The next few weeks went by like a tornado across the plains of Kansas. Corinne stayed busy, with very little time to spend alone with Ryne. She met his parents when they met them at the train station. She wasn't allowed to call Ryne's dad anything but "Paw" and his mother insisted on being called by her Christian name: Stella.

Today the waiting was over. She was finally marrying her cowboy. It would be exciting, and fun, full of joy and emotion. She couldn't wait to see Ryne. She hadn't seen him in days and it was only during social occasions, leaving little opportunity for romantic kisses and long moments wrapped in his arms.

Corinne giggled like she was a girl again as she ran to answer the door. She'd seen her friends coming from the window. They were coming to fix her hair and help her put on her dress. She only had a few hours before the wedding would start at St. Stephen's. Her heart raced unevenly. Just the thought of Ryne standing at the front of their little church waiting for her had her palms sweating and her knees knocking. She opened the door and let the girls in.

Susannah was first to talk. "And here I was, thinking I'd be the first one of us married! Oh, Corinne! Who knew the day you watching him ride away that you'd be his wife?" Corinne blushed at the memory of brazenly watching his backside while he was atop his horse. "I have to find a new maid of honor now!" Corinne knew that was coming. Most girls didn't want married women in their weddings.

"I'm sure Nellie will be more than happy to stand with you, Susannah! Besides, who else is going to have that heart to heart that you know you don't want to have with your Maw? It's better if one of us knows what to say than to take the word of someone who's been married for more than twenty years, right?"

"Oh, Corinne, that's so improper! Besides, Maw and I had that talk a while back. I laughed for days between bouts of deep blushing. I couldn't even look Liam in the eye for a week!" The three girls' laughter could be heard throughout the house.

Nellie laughed louder than the other two, and then turned such a deep red that she was almost purple.

"Are you alright, Nellie?" She just nodded and didn't say anything to Susannah's question.

"I think she's hiding something. Have you been naughty, Nellie? Naughty Nellie! Oh, if it was a few years ago, I think you would have a new nickname." Corinne, speaking out of her normal, proper, character, teased her friend who was more like her sister.

"No, of course not. Jacob hinted a few times and his kisses certainly made me tempted to give in, but no naughty Nellie here. We are, however, as of last night..." The other two women looked at each other and screamed "engaged!" They both jumped and clapped before hugging her.

"Wow! Do you know when yet?" Susannah finally asked.

"No. Probably at least six months, maybe longer. Your wedding isn't too far away either."

Corinne laughed again. "Pretty soon, we'll all be a bunch of old married biddies!" The other two joined in her mirth.

Maggie walked in, already in her dress. "Well, you sound like a bunch of young girls excited about a boy!" They cackled even louder.

"Let's get your hair curled and put up so we can get you ready. It won't be long and you'll be a married woman. My baby girl's grown up on me now." Maggie tried to assuage her tears, but they overwhelmed her nonetheless. Corinne gave her mother a gentle squeeze.

The sound of children playing reached their ears while they worked on her up-do. Her sister-in-law, Beth, peeked her head in the door. "Need any help?"

"Sure." Maggie kissed her cheek and then handed her the brush. "I'll just go help get the kids ready!"

Beth giggled. "Good luck, Gramma. I left those rowdy boys to their daddy. I think we'll dress them at the church five minutes before Corinne walks down the aisle. Otherwise, they may get dirty again first."