Chapter 15 - Part 1/3

“AHH!  NO! Corinne! Watch OUT! ARLEN!” Lanie came rushing in at the sound of Maggie’s screams. 

“What’s the matter, Maggie?” 

“Nothing, I hope. A bad dream is all. I dreamed Corinne was ...” she stopped and shook her head. “No. It can’t be real. It has to be a dream; otherwise, Corinne is going to die.” Her face turned white and she started shaking. 

Lanie didn’t know what to do. “Let me get you some tea. Rest your head. I’m sure it’s nothing. God will take care of her.” She reassured her before stepping out of the room.

Maggie shook her head, trying to clear the image of her daughter lying in a dirt street, red stains covering her dress. She also dreamt Arlen was lying next to Corinne. She begged God silently to save all three of them from the strange doom that seemed inescapable.

When Lanie came back with the tea, Maggie began telling her the whole dream, in minute detail.

“Corinne was getting married, but I couldn’t see the groom’s face. He had a gun pointed at her back during the ceremony. Arlen ran in, objecting to their union, and the groom, I am assuming Ryne, shot Arlen in the chest. When Corinne went to fight him, he shot her too. She staggered towards Arlen and, I’m not sure when this happened, but they were both lying dead in the street. Oh, Lanie. Pray that this is just a horrible nightmare. It can’t be the fate of my family. It just can’t be.” And, the normally composed Margaret McAllister broke into uncontrollable and inconsolable sobs.

Lanie felt lost. She didn’t know how to console her friend. And, given that the last dream had actually been true, she was frightened as well. She sent a prayer heaven-ward that it was only a warning of what could happen. A knock sounded on the door, interrupting her tumultuous thoughts.

“Maw. It’s a telegram from Arlen for Mrs. McAllister.”

The tears stopped as soon as she heard those words. Jacob handed the paper to Maggie before walking out. 

It read:

In Boulder. Stop. Corinne alive. Stop. Richards at fault. Stop. Pray. Stop.

Matthew Richards? What did he have to do with this? She pondered. At least she knew Corinne was alive. 

* * * * * ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ * * * * *

Ryne waited outside the Telegraph office for Arlen. He kept his eyes open for any sign of Corinne, but he hadn’t seen her yet. When Arlen walked out, Ryne and Buddy followed behind him. 

He was headed to the Chapel. “I think she’s there. Now, Buddy, I want you to go around the side and try to get in that way. Ryne, we’re going in together, but we have to be careful. We both know firsthand that Richards will shoot in a heartbeat. Once we’re inside, let’s go quietly up the sides. I'm objecting when the preacher asks."

“Not if I beat you to it, Arlen! Let’s go get her back!” 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sally had gone from being upset to being raging mad. She was going to have a say in that wedding if it was the last thing she did on earth. She decided while she was bawling over Matthew that she would take herself out of this life; out of this pitiful excuse for living. She would not kowtow to another man’s cravings, unless it was her husband’s. She was her own woman and she would make her own way in life. 

She dressed in her “for good” clothes and packed her pistol. A woman could never be too careful. She marched out of the Saloon with her bags in hand. 

“Where you goin’, Sally? We have customers.” Bill, the “manager” of the “ladies of the house” hollered as she headed for the door.

She turned to face her boss. “No, Bill. I don’t. I’m done. The last man has broken my heart. I have nothing left to give. I only took my clothes. Everything else is yours.” Lottie poked her head out from the kitchen, hoping she was hearing this wrong. Bill would force her to take Sally’s place, and Lottie was not about to be like Sally: broken and brokenhearted. 

“Lottie. Come on! You’re going with me. I won’t travel alone, and this is no place for a girl of fourteen. Don’t worry about clothing. I’ll help you with it.” Lottie untied her apron and shuffled quickly to where Sally was, suddenly feeling empowered. She didn’t know what kind of life she’d have, but she knew it would be better than this one.

As they walked out, they heard Bill hollering that he’d find them both and bring them back and that Sally and Lottie both owed him everything. He was right there. She refused to turn around. She walked with her head held high out of the Saloon and headed straight for the Chapel. 

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ 

“Let me go accumulate a witness or two, Mr. Richards, and then we’ll get started. It won’t be but a minute.”

“Very well, but please be hasty.” Matthew demanded in a polite tone.

Corinne paced the back part of the church, unwilling to accept a life with Matthew. She wasn’t living in the Dark Ages. A woman had a little say when it came to marriage, and sometimes she had more than that. She was certain Ryne would be there any moment, but she didn’t want to watch the door. Any little thing would alert Matthew, and she didn’t want to do that either. She would say NO when the Parson asked if she came of her own free will. Hopefully, that would give him pause, and he could question Matthew a little more, buying her more time. Maybe she’d be able to talk to him alone as well. She doubted Matthew would allow it. There had to be some sort of saving grace. God make a way, she prayed silently!