── prologue

00 'ORIGENS'▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

00 'ORIGENS'
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IT WASN'T UNCOMMON FOR THE ORPHANAGE TO RECEIVE UNIDENTIFIED CHILDREN. It was a place where kids entered but didn't always find a way out. As they reached a certain age, prospective parents would seek to fulfill their vision of the quintessential American family. If you weren't a baby or a child under five years old, your chances dwindled rapidly.

That little blondie was one such case. Upon arriving at the orphanage at age five, she felt out of place. Her arrival was abrupt. It was early morning, just past midnight, when cries echoed from the neighboring building. A young volunteer at the facility was the first to encounter the girl. The street lay deserted and dimly lit, and while Central City wasn't as perilous as some, it wasn't safe for a young girl to wander alone so late.

Approaching her, the volunteer found the girl inconsolable. She was scared, and when the volunteer tried to guide her indoors, she recoiled.

"It's okay, sweetheart. You'll be safe, I promise. I'm Lizzi; what's your name?" The volunteer spoke gently, offering a small smile as she crouched to the girl's level.

Though the girl backed away again, her tears seemed to subside. Lizzi could sense the orphanage guard and caretaker approaching, likely to inquire. She signaled them to wait, not wanting to overwhelm the girl. Turning back to her, Lizzi found her tearful eyes dimmed, her blonde hair disheveled, and her clothes worn. Yet she seemed willing to communicate if only she could. Observing her closely, Lizzi realized the girl was older than anticipated, around four or five, making her silence puzzling. Yet, in her studies, Lizzi had learned that a lack of speech at this age could stem from various factors: lack of stimulation, trauma, or even hearing impairment.

"How about this: step forward for 'yes,' and don't step back for 'no,' okay?" Lizzi proposed. The girl stepped forward in response. "Good. Do you know your name?" No movement. "Do you know where you are?" Stillness. "Are you cold?" A step. "Would you like to come inside for some warm food?" After a moment's hesitation, another step.