Chapter 7- Hidden in Plain Sight

12 September 2017
Paris, France
0345 hours_

"STOP! IT HURTS!"
Paige is sweating like a fountain. I was attempting to remove the bullet in her leg before it caused a serious infection.
Despite my efforts, she couldn't keep still. It was too much pain for her to endure. Why did I put her in danger? Such a stupid mistake.
"Okay Paige, one last try. Don't move. Do sooner we do this, the better. Stay strong with me, okay?"
She nods. I get to work with searching for the bullet in the wound. It hit her thigh. Its wrong of me to be going that far but I have to save a life I put in danger. Selfish mistake.
I dig the tweezers in the open wound, she bites her lip. I can't stop now. If I do, she will feel even more pain. I fumble with it for a few minutes and suddenly she gives a loud deafening scream. I found it. I extract it carefully and place it on an aluminium tray.
She looks more or less exhausted but relieved. I sit down on the cold marble floor. I did it. I saved a life. I still wonder why I came to her.
Because she isn't a normal teenage girl. She's something else. Paige has an unusual fetish for weapons and assassin movies. Back in high school, she would bring a paper blade wherever she went. Sure, she used it to threaten a few students but she was always fun. I remember when I was the shy guy who always stayed to finish up some work so I didnt need to do it at home. Paige always came and nudged me into the social world.
I made Paige take some painkillers to sleep and I kept on the lookout. I'm not a fugitive but I am wanted by him for some reason.
Should I leave Paige or should I stay with her? Then I remember Mrs Lyn. She died because I left her. Regret fills me. I don't want to put another life on the line. But at the same time I need to protect her and the ones I love. Family, Friends.
I have a choice to make. Walk out the front door now and go into hiding or protect them.
It seems like it's so unreal. So cliché. But I need to do this. I need to protect the ones I love. I'm staying.
My brain starts forming plans. It's like playing a game of chess. Strategy and power. One wrong move is hard to come back and recover from.
I decided to make disguised weapons. If you played Assassins Creed , you would know what I'm talking about. Disguised arms and weapons are hard to detect, light and very lethal.
I decided to make a quick jog to the nearby hardware store near Paige's house. Apparently, she lived alone because her roommate is out of town.
It should be around 6am by now. The store should be opened but its not. I wait in front of the hardware store.An old man wearing the hardware store's shirt,approaches me.
"Don't you think its a bit too early to be at a store at this hour?"
"Yeah, I need to get some things."
"I see, well, take your time and get what u need."he ushers me in when he unlocks the door.
I know what I need. I quickly scan the isles and get what I need. I dump it all in a rusty trolley that makes a very irritating sound when I push it.
I push the trolley towards the counter and in time, spotted one of them. He holds up a poster for the old man i saw earlier,which I assume is a picture of my face. I see the guy reaching for his gun.
"Yeah, he's just shopping around."the old man says.
I grab a very-conveniently placed hatchet from the tools section and threw it at my hunter. But all is too late. The man shot the old man first. I see the old man's body crumple to the ground. The man, never saw the weapon being thrown in his face.
He too, slumps dead on the tiled floor. There's so much blood. The old man mouths some words. His final words. He points to a notebook. I quickly grab it and pass it to him. He scribbles something. I thought he was writing a message to his family. Instead he wrote;

Your life is in danger, Run while u can

I look over to him after reading the note. He breathed his last. I can't cry now. More lives will be at stake if I stay here. I have to keep moving. I grab the trolley and run back to Paige's house.
Quickly, I sweep out the house grabbing a toolbox, a medkit and some pillows and a blanket. I also randomly took some clothes for Paige. I need to take her too. I can't leave her. I swiped her car keys from the coffee table.She was still asleep when I carried her into her car. I put everything I got from the hardware store, my stuff and Paige's things.
We needed to go. We needed to get out of here. You can call it a road trip, but I call it an escape. I texted Steph;

Going to plan b. Do not follow.

I start up the car. Luckily, I knew how to drive. We sped off to the highway. To the outskirts of France.