Chapter 19

Both Joel and Ray had been prepared for a long and difficult fight against the school for their right to go to prom together. However, Joel sent the principal a polite but clear email detailing their plans and expectations, and received a resounding 'yes' in return. He had called Ray immediately, so excited that Ray could hardly comprehend what he was saying, and the two had celebrated by telling their friends what was happening. After that, it just came down to last minute wardrobe plans.

Ray's mom had agreed to pay for his tuxedo, as long as he helped her around the house more often over summer. Joel, on the other hand, had been left to his own devices with his outfit, and was nervous about showing it off. He had gone for something simple; a black one-button suit and black shirt, with a royal blue tie and pocket square. His parents had assured him that he looked wonderful, and looking in the mirror, he had been impressed with the striking contrast of the blue on black. But the confidence had worn off quickly.

Standing in the hallway of Ray's house, Joel was as nervous as he'd been before finals. Ray's mom was there with him, a camera in her hands as she waited to take photos. They had been talking at first, but now silence had fallen. Finally, a door creaked open on the landing, and Ray started to descend the stairs. Joel was stunned for a moment.

The tuxedo was nothing special, plain black with a shawl lapel over a white shirt. That was presumably the part that had been rented. It was the touches that had been added to it that made it perfect. The dark red bow tie, the matching cummerbund. But most of all, his eye was drawn to the rose pinned to Ray's lapel. He remembered someone telling him that dark red roses were symbols of unconscious beauty, and thought how wonderfully appropriate that was.

Ray stepped down into the hallway and stopped next to Joel, smiling nervously.

"How do I look?" He asked.

"Incredible." Joel murmured.

"Oh, Ray." His mom said. "You look so grown up." She hugged him, and he squirmed away.

"Hey, be careful. I don't wanna get it creased or anything."

"Alright." She sighed. "Gosh. And you're gonna do this twice more before you finish high school. My emotions aren't gonna stand up to this."

"Seriously, mom, it's just a tuxedo."

"I know, I know. I'm a parent, I get emotional about things like this. You'll get it one day."

"Sure." Ray rolled his eyes, fiddling with the tiny silver cufflinks in his shirt sleeves.

"Okay, you two, let me get a picture. Stand in front of the stairs." They obeyed her instructions and posed together, hands behind backs, smiling. As she was about to take another photo, Ray grabbed Joel's hand and squeezed it, still smiling widely. His mom laughed as they relaxed after the photo was taken.

"So." Joel said quietly. "Are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be, I guess." Ray replied. He looked up into Joel's eyes, and his smile softened. The click of the camera shutter echoed through the hallway and Ray turned to his mom with a scowl. She laughed again.

"I'm sorry, I just had to take a photo of that! It was a very sweet moment." She stepped forwards and patted Ray's cheek. "I hope you have a good time tonight." She turned to Joel. "You too. Especially as you're leaving soon. I'm sure gonna miss you being here every evening."

"Mom, we still have all summer." Ray grumbled.

"I know." She shook her head and sighed. "Go on, get out of here, before you make me cry. Where are you meeting the car?"

"My place." Joel replied. "My dad's driving."

"Alright. See you both later." They said their goodbyes and walked out of Ray's front door. Ray sighed as their hands linked and they made their way down the street.