Chapter 14

As predicted, Joel didn't sit with them on Tuesday. With Gavin and Michael gone too, it was a quiet lunch hour. Burnie apologised to Ray all over again, still upset about what he'd done. Ray just told him what he'd told the others, and asked him not to worry about it. To his credit, Burnie changed the subject, talking to Matt about a class they'd had that day. Stranded between conversations, Ray stayed quiet.

*

Ray met Michael and Gavin outside the school gates the next morning, shivering in the icy wind as they stepped off the bus. They both looked miserable, faces downturned as they walked over.

"Hey, guys." Ray greeted them.

"Hi, Ray." Michael replied. "You okay?"

"Not really. You?"

"Not really."

"You guys saw Dan off, then?"

"Yeah. It was pretty sad. He and Gav hugged for about a year and Gav cried a bit. I might have... you know. Joined in."

"Aw, man. That's sad."

"We'll see him again, though." Michael said brightly, throwing an arm around each of his friends. "Not right now, but one day. Come on, we gotta get to class." He started to lead them inside. Ray looked around him to try and see Gavin, but as soon as he caught a glimpse of his face, he had looked away. He tried not to feel sad, but couldn't help the pang that went through him. Despite his own problems, he felt bad for Gavin. To be reunited with someone you hadn't seen for three months and then have them go away again... It had to hurt.

Ray was separated from Gavin for the morning's classes, but took the opportunity in English to talk to Michael, hiding behind the textbook they shared.

"Hey, is Gavin okay?" He asked. "He was super quiet this morning, I was kinda worried."

"Yeah, he's... he misses Dan a lot. Like, more than I expected he would."

"Well, I guess they are pretty close."

"More than pretty close, Ray. They're like... brothers. Or something else."

"What do you mean, something else?"

"I mean... I don't see many people looking at their friends like those two look at each other. You know? All puppy-eyes and shit."

"Do you think they're-"

"I don't know what they are. I don't wanna speculate." Michael shook his head. "I kinda hope he doesn't stay this upset for too long, though. I like loud excited Gavin a lot more than sad Gavin."

"Mr Narvaez!" The teacher called out. "Stop hiding behind your textbook, I know you're talking. Put it flat it on the desk and do your work." Ray rolled his eyes, but nodded and put the book down. He tried to motivate himself to work, but all he could do was stare into space and worry. As much as he was hurting right now, Gavin needed him. And at least Gavin would listen to him. Or so he thought.

*

The cafeteria table was oddly quiet again. Geoff was telling Jack a story about something Griffon had done the night before, something about her attacking him with crimpers. But rather than the other conversations usually going on around them, there was quiet. And it was no companionable silence; the hush was cold and awkward. Ray's first thought as he sat down was that it must be his fault. But then he caught sight of Gavin, and it became clear. The redness around his eyes told a story his silence didn't need to. Ray's stomach twisted with concern for his friend.

"Gavin, are you okay?" He asked.

"Fine." Gavin replied shortly.

"Um... Are you sure? You look-"