Chapter Seventeen

Mal took a calming breath as she paced the floor in the little waiting room she was in before she'd be introduced to the Cotillion. Now that she was all 'dolled up' as Evie liked to say, it was taking every ounce of willpower not to run for the hills.

Honestly what were they thinking? Having Cotillion on a yacht? Yeah, yeah, it was the 'True Love' boat or whatever Jane had said to justify it but not for the first time, Mal couldn't help but wonder if the people of Auradon had full control of their faculties.

Thankfully, she was able to sneak Estelle on board so he was by her side. Honestly it had been rather amusing the way Lumiere had pretended not to see the three headed dog by Mal's side. Though he did compliment Mal on returning to her purple hair color along with the dress so maybe Lumiere just wanted to make things more comfortable for her.

He had been a candlestick for ten years, if there was anyone who knew the importance of feeling like they were someone they weren't, it'd be him. And Cogsworth. And Mrs. Potts. And her son Chip.

You know, maybe I know Ben's staff a bit too well, she thought as Estelle gently licked her hand. Thankfully, she could hear people start to mill about out there so she knew soon she'd be brought out in front of the whole school.

No. The whole kingdom. Cotillion was televised after all, just like the coronation was.

"Mal?"

"Jay? Is that you?" Mal said, walking over to the door where she had heard Jay's voice.

"I wanted to check on you," Jay said with a chuckle. "You wanna let me in?"

Mal shook her head as she opened the door. "You clean up nicely."

"As do you," he said with a small smirk.

Mal chuckled. "Come on, you know it's all Evie's work."

"Yes well...speaking of Evie's work, there's one more surprise for you," Jay said as he walked over to the closet in her holding room.

"I'm...I'm already wearing my dress Jay. What are you even talking...about...?" Mal asked, trailing off as she saw four people spill out of the closet. Three boys, one girl, all wearing different types of formal wear that she had never seen them in before.

Uma had her braids up in an updo as she wore a teal dress with bits of silver and gold netting around the skirt. Gil had on a brown vest that showed off his arms while Harry had on a red jacket that almost seemed to be a replica of Jay's.

Estelle looked between the newcomers and Mal, as if confused as to whether or not he needed to treat them like a threat.

After all, the last time Mal had been around them, Estelle could smell the fear coming off of her.

"Mali!"

The youngest boy rushing toward her and squeezing her tight pulled Mal out of her thoughts and she smiled as she hugged her brother close to her.

Okay, not a threat, Estelle thought with a doggy grin. Good. I knew the other Alpha and Beta weren't threats! Can't say much about their omega though.

"What are you doing here?" Mal asked as she looked at her brother. "Also, remind me to check to see if Evie's been cloning herself because I know she's good but not 'able to make four extra formal attires hours before Cotillion' good."

Hadie looked up at her. "Jay got us! And his friend Lonnie. She's nice though I think Jay might be in denial about feelings he might have for Lonnie."

"...I'm in the room!" Jay exclaimed.

Hadie chuckled as he broke the hug. "Oh yes, so you are. So why are you in denial about your feelings for Lonnie?"