Prologue

A fifteen year old packed with hast as the gentle breathing of his sleeping siblings echoed in his ears and mind. His heart pounded with the rush of excitement and fear, both of which he should have been immune to. He packed quickly, without thinking, throwing what little belonged to him into his sack.

     His mind raced, thinking about his brothers and sisters, what they would do without him, the older father figure, the brother.

     They'll be fine, they're strong.He chanted in his head.

     He gently walked to the next in command, his younger brother, age 14. He quietly shook him. "Luis," he whispered. His brother opened his eyes quickly, blowing his cover, clearly not asleep.

     "I'm leaving,"The oldest continued. "I want you to take care of everybody, even The Lady."

     "Wait, where are you going?" The younger mumbled, not comprehending the situation.

     "I'm leaving tolos estadus unidos.I'm not coming back." He looked at the ground.

     His brother stared into his eyes. "What are we suppose to do," tears welted in his eyes. "I can't do this without you."

     The other children started to stir, and the eldest looked as his brother eyes. " Take care of them, don't tell them where I went."

     The youngest hugged his brother and without any words, he watched as his role-model, his rock, his father -figure, left into the night out the little window of their two-roomed home. 

He didn't stop him, nor did he blame him for leaving. If it weren't for the other siblings, he too would have left the hellhole they called home.