Death is so Final

At this point my punishment is worse than hell. Why did I agree to come here?

Being on death row I was given a choice, execution or be some scientist's lab rat. Not wanting to die I chose the latter.

The goal was simple. These geeks thought they could bring back a person from the dead. They gave me some cyanide and instructed me to drink it. It's weird at first, the sensation of dying. I remember the first time clearly. My body shivering, becoming cold. My helplessness as I fell to the floor being "observed" by a group of "scientists". Then all of a sudden I was looking at the same people. They were hugging each other, celebrating.

I asked what had happened and I was told that after a weeklong endeavor, I had been brought back to life. I thought it would end there, but no they insisted we keep trying. After the fiftieth time I told them I was done, I wanted out. But they told me I belonged to them. I was nothing more than a lab rat, constantly being starved, one time to the point of death.

Now I have my way out. One of the guards left his gun on the stool and I'm not wasting this opportunity. The gun feels cold on my lips but I'm just done. Pulling the trigger I feel a slight sting and then nothing.

Then I feel the warmth again. I can feel the stitches in the back of my head. To the side of my bed I see a note.

Did you really think we would leave a gun unattended?