Chapter Nine: Harry

August 26, 1993: It had been a week since I returned to the Leaky Cauldron and I still haven't finished my letter to my dad. What could I say? Will he misunderstand if I just write 'Thank you.'? I don't know. Today, I was in Diagon Alley with the Weasleys, Harry, and Hermione. Harry arrived when Minister Fudge happened to be stopping by. I didn't go out of my way to see him and he didn't seem aware I was here either. I was happy to see Harry again and we shared a friendly hug. Hermione was also here and she and I spent time talking about our new classes. We had gotten our letters from Hogwarts for our new school materials for third year. Now, we have elective classes. The golden trio, (Harry, Hermione, and Ron), and I were sharing both Care for Magical Creatures and Divination. Draco and I were still exchanging letters on a weekly basis but I didn't know which electives he was taking. Harry and Hermione both got me birthday gifts as well. Harry got me two gold ribbons for my hair and Hermione got me a book about a yellow bear named Winnie-the-Pooh. It was a relief to see Harry wasn't starving but he didn't want to talk about why he was here. He was happy to be with us despite it being mandatory shopping.

          "Oh, look at that cat!" Hermione exclaimed.

          I looked up and she was pointing at a half-kneazle cat. It was long furred with a pansy face. The color was similar to Calcifer's. Hermione was absolutely smitten with him.

          "I think I'll buy him. Harry has an owl, Ron has a rat, Sophie has a cat, but I haven't got a pet. I'm going to name him Crookshanks," she said decisively and picked him up.

          I laughed at her determination and it was a trait I admired about her. She's brilliant and blunt. We all went to get our five new textbooks and any supplies we needed to replenish, such as parchment and ink. There was even a new broom, the Firebolt, that was released. When we returned to the inn, I went to my room where Calcifer was waiting and I began to get my trunks ready for school.

          Secretly, I charmed my personal trunk to be nearly endless for my belongings. Both of my trunks were practically done for the rest of summer and I made sure all of my homework was completed. Looking at my broom, I was excited to play this year since the games were canceled last year. Calcifer nudged my foot and he had a couple things in his mouth. I sat on the floor and retrieved the green envelope and green gift box from him. I opened the envelope that I knew was from Draco.

"My Sophie,

          Forgive me for such a late gift. I had the hardest time finding the perfect gift for you. When I saw this, I immediately thought of you. It would honor me if you wore it. Please find me at Platform 9 ¾ on September 1st. I would love it if you accompanied me on the Hogwarts Express. You do not have to respond in a letter because I want to hear your response in person. I've missed you, darling.

Affectionately,

Your Draco"

          I turned red from head to toe and eagerly opened the gift box. There was a beautiful ring made entirely of black onyx. I put it on my right hand ring finger and it fit perfectly. I was in love with it. Something about Draco made my heart flutter and it made me feel so happy thinking about him. What should I say when I see him? I began to think about possible ways to thank him as I went downstairs and saw Mr. Weasley take Harry aside privately.

          I sat at an empty table and listened in on the conversation. Apparently, Sirius Black was a follower of You-Know-Who. When Harry defeated You-Know-Who, Sirius Black went mad and sought revenge for his master. He's out for Harry's life. My face hardened at the thought that a madman wants to kill my friend. However, I was confused at what Mr. Weasley said next. He made Harry promise that no matter what he hears about Sirius Black, he won't go looking for him. Why would Harry look for a man trying to murder him?

          I made a promise to myself that I will protect my friends, no matter what. Harry and Ron both went to save my life. I owe it to them. Ron has saved us before by sacrificing himself in that chess match. Harry has faced You-Know-Who twice already. Although my dad and I weren't talking, I did end up sending him a letter so that he would know I'm safe.

"Dear Dad,

          Thank you for the crown. I will wear it proudly now that I am a proper vampire. I love you. I'm sorry that I left the way that I did. Everything you've done has been for me and I am grateful. We'll be going back to Hogwarts soon. I'm safe and I will continue to be safe. If anything happens, I will still depend on you. You will always be my dad.

Your daughter and Starlight,

Sophie"

          The night before our return to Hogwarts, I made sure everything was packed and this time, I snuck into the twins' room to sleep. They welcomed me with open arms. I fell asleep in George's embrace and Fred laid behind me to hold us both. No matter what, I could always go to them and I know they'll keep me safe.