Chapter 2

This is the only half way enjoyable “chore” I have, Brea thought. She was sprawled in a small cushioned chair beside Mr. Bradigan’s bed. He’d become seriously ill the previous week, and although Una had made a special trip, she’d only been able to get him over the worst of it. He was so old now that his body didn’t heal as easily, and Una was pregnant, so she couldn’t expend quite as much energy on the healing as she normally would. So here he was, still in bed a week later.

Brea had been given “babysitting” duty. She loved it. Mr. B (he insisted she call him that as a compromise) had the driest sense of humor and was always making her laugh. She got to spend all her time in her human glamour and could take a hot shower every night before bed and another when she woke up, if she cared to. It felt like the ultimate vacation.

Mr. B cleared his throat, causing Brea to jump. “Sorry.” She smiled at him and quickly moved a chess piece. He chuckled and shook his head then promptly took her knight. She wasn’t any good, but he enjoyed the challenge of trying to teach her. At least that’s what he claimed. Brea would have thought he’d be sick of it after so many decades. She managed to hold her own for about twenty moves before he creamed her. Not bad. He’d managed to beat her in four moves once and had never let her live it down.

Brea stood and stretched. “I think I’m going to scoop myself a bowl of ice cream. Do you want some?”

“No, my dear, but I would like a cup of hot tea if you don’t mind and maybe one of those muffins your mam sent.”

“No problem. I’ll be right back.” She went to the kitchen and put some water in the old kettle that sat on the stove. Although Mr. B had a microwave, he liked his tea made the old-fashioned way. He swore he could taste the difference. It didn’t matter to Brea; it heated up almost as fast that way as in the microwave. By the time she was done putting chocolate syrup on her ice cream and setting a big blueberry muffin on the tray, the kettle was whistling.

Carefully she carried the tray into his bedroom and set it on his bedside table. He took a tentative sip and sighed. “Perfect. As always.”

Brea smiled and popped a huge spoonful of ice cream into her mouth, savoring the way it melted down her throat. Just one more perk of this job, she thought. Too bad mam won’t put electricity in our house.

“Does my heart good to see you so happy.” Mr. B was smiling at her. “Seems as though you’ve gotten a tiny bit sadder each year.”

“Well, that’s what happens when your entire race looks down on you.”

“Still no sign of your gift yet, huh?”

“Not even a glimmer. I’m doomed. But I’m okay. I’ve come to terms with it. It’s my family I feel bad for. They just keep waiting for it to suddenly kick in.” Brea grabbed a deck of cards and started shuffling, deftly changing the subject. “Care for a game of gin?”

“Of course.”

She managed to win one round while Mr. B took the other three. Brea was on her way to bed when he called her back.

“Brea, you know my grandson, Trevor, is coming in a couple of days, right?”

Yeah, thanks for reminding me… “Uh huh.”

“Well, I’ve already told your parents, but I asked them to let me explain to you.”

“Explain what?”

“I don’t want him involved.”

“Involved?” Is he warning me not to date his grandson? The thought had never crossed her mind, but it hurt that Mr. B had considered it. This conversation was beginning to get a little weird, and Brea wondered if she’d kept him up too late.