Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe

Amani Banks , London - England

~~~ the kids are not alright ~~~

You must be thinking why i named this part of my story Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe.

I somehow compare them to my parents. Only difference is that im pretty sure Elvis and Marilyn wouldn't of been shitty parents.

My dad , "Elvis" , was a rock star. Well he was actually nowhere close to being a star. He mostly sang at horrible places then drank his feelings.

My mother , "Marilyn" thought she was a goddess. She thought that she was the center of the earth. She thought she was so beautiful , more beautiful than her daughter. But in my eyes she was a complete failure. She never looked more ugly when she said 'Please tell me how good i look today.'

My mum had no diamonds or designer things. My dad wasnt a huge sex symbol in the rock industry. We had a house (thank God) and things were actually worse than before. I sometimes wish we were homeless so that people could see how we were living.

'Michael open up!' Our landlord yelled at our door. My dads face went white. He probably didnt have any money like always. Its sad enough we had vending machine sandwiches for dinner. They were a pound each and tasted like paper.

We all heard the door unlock and came in our landlord.

'Get out Michael ,you dont have much so it wont take you long to get out. Im waiting.' He said as he crossed his arms. His voice was cold like ice it made my skin crawl.

My dad already had his duffel bag ready. Well actually all of us were ready. We really didnt have much stuff since we did move around a lot.

'Micheal what are we going to do?!' My mum yelled at my dad. Her cat-like blue eyes full with rage.

'I guess this is goodbye.' He said lighting a cigarette and walking out on us. That was the last time I saw his mountain-like hair and black leather jacket.

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat as i saw my dad walk out of the door. I grabed my 3 duffel bags and puffed. I looked at my mother , seeing how devasted she was. It was probably the first time someone said no to her. Her make-up wasn't looking as glamorous and she looked really devastated. I tried to put on a smile before she looked at me with sad eyes.

'Take care Amani.' The person that i used to call my mother also went out the door. Her brown hair , reaching her waist and her 3 inch strappy heels is all that I remember. And I really dont want to remember anything else. 

I could barely stand there. Dear reader i cant even tell you how embrassing that was. Our landlord was probably in such a horrible condition. He probably pitted me but was also furious at my ex parents. Lets call them Michael and Angelica. A parent would never do that. But no matter what , life does go on.

'I guess you could go to a homeless shelter.' Our ex-landlord said under his breath.

'That must be luxury compared to this.' I said slightly patting him on the arm and walking out of the dump. It was chilly like always in London and I walked my way to the homeless shelter. I was so uplifted that it wasn't night otherwise I couldn't of gotten to the shelter.

So dear reader that was the day Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe walked out on me. I wasnt actually too shocked. They were barely home anyways. I was 17 years old , it was about time i got my shit together. So dear Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe I hope you have something happen to you as painful as the pain i felt that day. You gotta learn in this life ; Karma is a bitch.

~~~~~~~

A little less conversation, a little more action please

All this aggravation ain't satisfactioning me

A little more bite and a little less bark

A little less fight and a little more spark

This is Amani hoping and trying to save her family. But not everything goes as you planned.

{Sila ♥}