Chapter 29: Moment of Truth

This is yet to be edited.

Nairobi and I sat side by side in the auditorium as the program started. There would be different kinds of performances from the grade school department to the high school department. After the last performers leave the stage, the Nutri Jingle contest will start. The contestants will draw lots on who would go first several minutes before the contest starts.

The group contestants were supposed to sit together in the auditorium because the awarding ceremony would follow immediately after the Nutri Jingle contest. So Nairobi forced me to save the seat beside me for Cairo. She really wasn’t going to let it go. She was going to push me until she found out who I liked.

Well, it’s gonna take a while. Even I don’t know who I like.

Students were just starting to fill the seats. Most of them just had lunch. Because of the delay the seniors caused, the schedule got messed up. Instead of having a regular lunchtime, people had less time to eat. As you would have guessed, Nairobi wasn’t happy about that.

“That quiz bee really worked up an appetite,” she told me as she continued to munch on her fries.

“I’m just glad it’s finally over,” I said after taking a sip of my white chocolate mocha. “I mean, it was fun,” I quickly added.

“But it’s not something you’ll miss anytime soon,” she said with a smile before another fry disappeared into her mouth.

I nodded before finishing my drink. I practically had to drag Nairobi with me to the coffee shop. Normally, she would come with me willingly. It was only ten minutes away, after all. But on days like this when her lunchtime’s been delayed, she gets really hungry.

“I sure hope no one causes any more delays. I think most of our classmates are either not around or exhausted from the contests they joined. Maybe we could convince Sunny to cancel rehearsals today. Then,” she looked at me with hopeful eyes. “Maybe… we could… possibly…”

“Swing by Salazars’ Bookstore,” I said monotonously, faking irritation.

“Well, I thought you’d never ask,” she winked at me. I rolled my eyes at her.

“I’m just gonna throw this,” I told her, gesturing to my cup, before I stood up and left the auditorium.

The closest trash bin was outside the auditorium, across the hall. Teachers are always complaining how when there are events in the auditorium, there’s always junk left on the floor or on the seats. Maybe, just maybe, if they placed a few trash bins inside the auditorium, there wouldn’t be a problem. Personally, I’ve never left cups or wrappers or bags inside the auditorium. I just didn’t mind the walk. But I would understand how some people wouldn’t want to leave their seats. If you leave before the program, you could lose your seat, unless you have someone to save it for you. If you leave during the program, you just might miss something great. And usually, by the time the program ends, you would’ve already placed your empty cup, wrapper, or bag somewhere and it’s easy to forget about it.

Our school has an event for almost every month. Next month will be National Language Month. Then in September, we’ll be having our school intramurals. After that, it’s our Halloween Party. Then the last event for this year will be the Christmas Party. Our school year is always full of events. This school year has just started, but a lot of things have already happened. For me, that is. And I guess for Nairobi, Sunny, and Cairo as well. I hope that when summer vacation comes, I could look back on this school year and remember it as happy. And I wish that the same would go for my friends. They deserve to be happy, all three of them.