1. The Flick of Life

I've always been obsessed with Death. I'm not just gonna go around telling people this. I'm smarter than I look. You might see a sweet young girl that dresses like she's homeless and think Death isn't constantly on my mind. You'd be wrong. But I don't go shouting it from the rooftops either. They'd lock me up in a place where I'd sit, drooling in a room with soft white walls and a cozy stray jacket. I wouldn't be able to do anything with my life. (Not that I have much concern for this life.) It's the next one I'm more interested in.

Now because I've barely spoken on the subject matter, I'm sure you're imagining pretty dark things. If you met him, if you actually knew what it was like to be in a room with him. Nothing on Earth give me the feeling he did. Of course, ever since I discovered I've not only could see him but spirits, nothing about this life has interested me more... made me feel alive oddly enough.

I can't expect you to understand.

I don't even really understand it myself.

I haven't exactly figured out what my role is in it yet but from the moment I first laid eyes on the scrawny dark figure when I was five years old, no one else's answers ever felt right. 

"But the man," I would explain to my mother as she touched in my dark purple bed sheets. And yes you could say my mom was fond of puns, considering my name is Violet. But I prefer, Vi. My name was pretty much the only thing about me my mom actually had any control over. Although defining my entire personality would be under her pink acrylics if it ever was up for grabs. 

She would smooth out my sheets so they perfectly covered everything but my feet. 

This was before it became absolutely unbearable because I was convinced he would somehow appear from beneath my bed and rip me down into hell. Yes, my dreams have become quite the mushroom trip since I was in kindergarten.

"Sweet, just go to sleep, there's no man in this house. No one's coming to get you. Mommy is here." 

So, I was foolish enough to believe she was probably right, and force myself back to sleep. Which wasn't  much fun, especially at that age. Before I got a know him a little better.I used to actually listen to my mother, before I realized she knew absolutely nothing, and her brain was the small size as every human I ever encountered. I mean, I didn't know if I was exactly human, considering I don't know who my father is. One thing my mom doesn't discuss, but man how to use hairspray properly, sure is. I guess, I could say I didn't know much about a bigger creator than just my actually biological one. And my mother wasn't exactly going out of her way to enlighten me no matter how much I questioned her on it.

Not that whoever was in charge allowed anyone else any real power. Not that I knew much of an answer about that as well. Death wasn't the type to answer questions, I guess over time I learned how to be exactly like him. If only I could actually be next to him for an extended period of time. It's been my real daily battle. Wondering when I was going to see him again...

I would do anything pretty much to see him again, even if it was only for a few moments. And yes, that means even if it means putting myself in harm's way. I mean, only me and the dead could see him. Not that I knew if he's had partners in the past... Not that I would exactly call myself a partner but more of a thorn in his side. Just a small girl getting in the way of his work. But there wasn't a chance I was going to leave him alone. He would have to kill me...if he could. 

The only things I know about him are from what I've seen. That douche is never into sharing. I can't say what I feel for him except that it's taken almost my entire life dedication to knowing more about him. I mean, you would called it obsessed, but I would tell you, you're wrong. Because I can tell you right now that this was my calling, I was chosen for him. Or at least, that's what I've come to believe since like I said before, I don't know who calls the shots, and I was this was for as long as I can remember seeing dead things.