03

****

It was the day of the flower festival. Sakura and Ino were at the latter's home, being dressed by Ino's mother.

"Ah, the both of you look so cute!" Ino's mother cooed, squeezing Ino's cheeks in excitement. Embarrassed, Ino huffed then gently shoved her mother's hands away and slung her arms around Sakura's, protecting her harmless cheeks from her mother.

Ino's yukata was lavender decorated with similar flower patterns coloured azure to Sakura's, except hers were adorned with aster embellishment, and Ino's looked more like lilies.

As Sakura decided what hair style she was aiming for, Ino's mother pulled her closer and whispered something into her ear, making her jump in elation.

"Sakura, Sakura! Mother said that she can go to the festival this time! Isn't that amazing?" Ino merrily exclaims to Sakura's face, swaddling her hands with hers tight.

The pinkette could only force out a weak smile, and her mother left them both alone to style their hair as she got ready. Sakura couldn't help but be reminded of how Ino's reactions could've been hers too, if it wasn't for that fatal day.

Sakura shook her head once again, and promised herself that she was going to have fun. Even though she knew deep inside, she desired to have someone that could understand her fragile emotions.

When their yukata dressing session was over, the trio left the home and set out to Konoha's streets. As expected, it was bustling and many people were elevated to celebrate the flower festival.

It was dusk, and the lantern lights were already set alight. It was truly a lavish day to commemorate. At first, Sakura walked together with the mother and daughter pair, visiting any food and accessory stalls that looked slightly interesting. The longer she walked, the more restless she grew. She didn't want this terrible feeling that weighed on her mind everytime her eyes preyed on Ino enjoying the festival with her mother.

Perhaps, was it jealousy that she was experiencing? She was peacefully standing by a stall when a small boy suddenly bumped into her side, rubbing his head in pain. "Ow, sorry!" The child yelped as he darted back into the sea of people where he came from.

When Sakura finally came to and broke out of her daze, she had already lost the pair. She searched lightly through the crowd, hoping to see them but eventually stopped. "It's not like they weren't better off with me," Sakura muttered under her breath. Her legs started walking, escaping the horde of people.

She had no idea where she was going and where her legs were taking her. All she had on her mind was just to run away from everything. Whatever she did, whatever she sees, it all reminded her of her parents and Sakura's guilt burdened her even more.

When her legs stopped, she realized she was at a view atop the streets, where she could see the festival. It was particularly breezy, but Sakura didn't mind. It also felt more familiar than she thought. She inhaled the fresh air, and exhaled. Maybe this is what she needed after all, an escape from reality.

The wind was brushing against her hair, swaying it gently. She gripped the railings with her hands firmly as she looked up. The sky was a deep navy blue, accompanied by the bright stars that seem to understand the pinkette's feelings. She smiled, having found comfort in admiring the beauty of the universe.

To her surprise, she noticed someone walk up behind her and immediately turned around.

It was a raven haired boy with signature onyx eyes darker than the night sky and it seemed to have impressed the girl with emerald green eyes and jolly pink hair that wavered to above her waist.