Happily Ever after... But is it?

As soon as Lan Wangji's footsteps receded, Wei Wuxian burst into tears. In choked sobs and stuttered breaths, he buried his head in the bed, pushing the pillow into his face.

Wen Qing arrived to find him in this state. She held bowls of food and was utterly distressed when she saw an absent Lan Wangji and a weeping patient.

"Wei Wuxian! Are you okay? What happened?"

He looked up, eyes red, seemingly miserable.

"Wen Qing! It hurts…"

"What hurts?"

"My heart… it hurts so much… I had no idea it would feel so painful!"

Wen Qing sat next to him and held his hand, like his mother had just a few moments ago, making him sob even more.

"What happened? Tell me."

And so, between tears and consolation, Wei Wuxian explained everything to her. To his surprise, she looked furious as he finished.

"Wei Wuxian, did you really throw Lan Wangji out for something as stupid as your unfounded jealousy?! That man has been sitting next to you without food and sleep for five days now! Even a blind person can tell he cares for you deeply! He's injured too, he needs to sleep, you're so stupid!"

Wei Wuxian was startled, as he heard this new information.

"What?"

"Are you daft? When Lan Wangji returned to the Burial Mounds, cradling your body, he was in pain due to his sealed powers and he couldn't stop crying. CRYING! Have you ever seen him cry? He refused to leave your side for even a second and sat with you day and night. When you slipped into your comatosed state and we were losing hope, he continued to stay there like a statue. I had to put a blanket on him because he kept shivering, but refused to change clothes, sleep or even eat properly! Everyone's been worried about him! Now if you don't bring him back I will personally send you back into your coma!"

Wen Qing's face had become red with anger and Wei Wuxian could almost see the smoke coming from her nostrils and it looked like she was only by a bit holding back the urge to hit him unconscious for his stupidity.
Wei Wuxian was just beginning to realise what a fool he was. Instead of letting Lan Wangji talk, he had shut him out at every opportunity, too afraid to be rejected, but even more hurting the other's sentiments, whatever they were.

Just then, he felt something in his hand. On opening his palm, there were a pair of rings enclosed within. One was a thick band of silver, while the other was a delicate silver swirl with sapphires in it. Wei Wuxian had no idea how they got there, but they looked painfully familiar. He thought about it for a second and a pang of pain hit his heart.

A-Niang and A-Die's wedding rings.

And they were. As her son returned to the realm of the living, it was their final gift to him. Wei Wuxian decided to consider this a sign.

Remembering what his mother told him, he jumped off of the bed, wobbling a little at first, not even supported or held back by Wen Qing, who still tried to regain her calmness, he caught himself and started running across the Burial Mounds in nothing but his inner robes and on bare feet.

As he ran, he kept thinking about the repercussions of what he was going to do. What if he thinks it's weird? What if he rejects me? What if he never meets me again? Should I burden him with my feelings? How will he react?

Then he decided to stop thinking. Nothing good came out of it anyway! He increased his pace, shivering in the slightly cool air, but tried to focus on the way and to even more increase his spread even in his still frail state.