CHAPTER 16 ➣ Gypsy Wedding

The morning rose accompanied by the first downpour of the day. Eulissah woke up on her own, next to her an empty space of crumpled blankets. Jimin had risen early, probably off somewhere regretting the tantrum he threw on Seokjin.

In the tent of the healer, Seokjin had managed to persuade the old woman to bring him a bottle of the strongest liquor. His handsome features, suave princely mannerisms, and sense of humor had fluttered the old healer to the point of affection.

He sat, covered by a fur blanket, drinking his sorrows away. He wondered where Jimin had gone off to, but then his mind got distracted by old memories of his royal life. He compared the difference between the current state of homelessness and castle life.

He did not miss it one bit. All those meaningless rules and protocols. All those titles, honorifics, and formalities, all designed to waste time more than anything else. Yet that was the only sort of life he understood. Something which his brothers can never fully comprehend. Something which they saw as luck, pampering even.

That couldn't have been farther from the truth. It was slavery for those who did not enjoy the indulgence of luxury and power. And he certainly wasn't one of them.

But thinking of the prophecy Eulissah foretold, he was more convinced than ever that his road will lead him back to that wretched royal life. And the thought that Y/N was meant to subject herself to that very same life, only made him feel more guilty.

He knew. Oh, he knew what was their destiny.

He threw the bottle on the ground and rubbed his face with his palms.

The folding sweep of the tent's opening sounded and the old healer entered.

"Jin, my dear boy, how are you?" She asked tenderly.

"Mrs. Lee, I'm very well thanks to you," he forced a sweet mouthy smile, even if he was in a foul mood.

"Madam Eulissah has asked for you," she said cheerfully.

"Alright, I'll be there in a minute."

He dressed warmly and exited the tent. He threw a quick look around for Jimin, hoping he would be there, but as expected he was nowhere in sight.

The gypsy outpost was now fully decorated with white numerous ornaments and fairy lights for a wedding feast. Despite the bad weather, the gypsies made a point of celebrating no matter the conditions.

Seokjin passed through them, greeting the members of the community that had been so polite and warm, thanks to Eulissah's warning. Because if it weren't for her explicit orders to treat them like family, the rumors of gypsy gangs viciousness towards outsiders would be rumors no more. But a grisly murder scene, lost in the wilds.

He climbed the platform and knocked on the door of Eulissah's central giant carriage.

"Come in," her lovely voice sang from inside.

He entered and caught her in the process of embellishing her face with makeup and perfume, sitting on her small corner desk.

"Forgive me, my lady, maybe this is a bad time," he blurted out embarrassed.

Eulissah giggled.

"I wouldn't have called upon you if it was a bad time, Jin, and I'm by no means a lady," she asserted with her typical mischievous and precocious attitude.

It had become apparent to Seokjin that the reason Jimin had such an unusual affinity for this girl, was that they shared so many similarities. Both provocative in more ways than one, and with a propensity for trouble and breaking the rules.