Ch. 39 Space

*No One's P.O.V.*

Morning came and Gen was still wide awake, luckily her tolerance for staying awake for long hours at work was able to pay off. Jack still slept and the blizzard outside had dwindled significantly since he'd fallen asleep.

Her phone began to ring next to her and she quickly answered it so the ringing wouldn't wake Jack up. "Hello?" She answered in a hushed voice. "Hello? Its Jamie! School's canceled because of a freak blizzard last night! Was that intentional?" Jamie asked with a hint of concern and a bit of excitement.

"Uh.. not really intentional, his powers are alot stronger now, remember?" She whispered back, glancing down at the sleeping figure in her lap. "Oh yeah!- Hey, why are you whispering?" The child asked in confusion. "Well, I have him sleeping next to me so I have to be quiet." She stated, she wouldn't give any details as to why the blizzard happened.

"Oh, why?" Jamie asked, Gen chuckled at his constant curiosity. "Enough, kiddo. I don't know how bad it is out there but don't try to leave your house today. If you want to play, stay in the yard, okay?" She informed and Jamie complied.

"Hey Gen?" He asked after a moment of silence. The woman in question was gazing down at the winter spirit snuggled into the blankets in her lap. "Hm?" She asked as she rested her hand on his head. "Is he okay?" At his question she paused. She knew Jamie wasn't dumb, but she didn't want him to worry at the same time.

She hesitated to respond. "Not really. Pitch really messed with him." Was all she'd say. Jamie was now quiet. He was extremely worried about Jack lately and he knew something was up when he heard about the blizzard. "Is that why you're with him?" He asked quietly.

Gen nodded even though Jamie couldn't see her, "yes." She stated. She heard a small sigh from the other line, "Should we give him space for a while?" The boy asked. Gen didn't like how smart Jamie was sometimes, but she was glad that he understood without knowing many details.

"I think that'd be best. If he's feeling up to it, I'll let you know when to come." She replied, stroking the sleeping spirit's hair when he stirred. "Okay," came the other reply.

"Hey Jamie? I know you've told me stories about Jack already but what is his relationship with the other Guardians like?" Gen asked, a bit curious. "Well, they care for him and all but they aren't that close. But from what I've seen lately, Jack and Bunny have gotten alot closer. Which is extremely surprising." He explained.

Gen raised an eyebrow. "Oh? Why surprising?" She asked, curiosity taking hold of her. Jamie chuckled, "Those two hated eachother! Playing pranks on eachother, always arguing and nearly getting into physical fights. All sorts of things." He explained further.

Gen chuckled in almost disbelief, but remembered when Bunny had tackled Jack and made a rude comment, resulting in her shouting at him. So, the idea wasn't that hard to believe. "They have gotten closer, haven't they?" She asked no one in particular, though Jamie agreed.

"Well, I should get going! Tell Jack I said hi when he wakes up, will ya?" He asked sweetly and Gen smiled. "Will do, bye." And with that she hung up. Looking up from the sleeping form, she let a yawn escape her lips.

Since it's daylight out, maybe it'll be fine if she takes a nap, right? Very slowly and gently, she laid down, wrapping the blanket around her and keeping an arm wrapped around Jack's shoulders as she rested his head on her arm. Smiling softly as he snuggled into her, she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.