Chapter Twenty Two

Third Hokage is seated by his wooden desk. The glass orb placed in front of him as he observes how all the teams manage with their tests. By far only handful have passed. It was expected considering that Lord Hiruzen is only looking for the best out of the graduates.

Currently, his eyes are trained on the members of the Team Seven. His lips are in the thin lines, deep sighs emitting from his mouth from time to time. He is annoyed at Kakashi for ever suggesting to take the survival test.

"Lord Third?" Inoichi approaches the man. The office is full of different ninjas. All of them are quite intrigued by the infamous Team Seven and the members of the said team. Hiruzen looks up from the orb, his eyes resting on the blonde man. "Are you sure about the decision regarding Team Seven?" His voice is low, but heard by everyone present. Ibiki is standing behind Inoichi, his eyes focused on the pink-haired girl on the team.

"We need a team that will rival the Sannins." Hiruzen states coldly. He realizes that he has to take action in order not to be questioned again. But at this point, he is unable to do anything. Danzo is dead, the only pillar he had behind him is gone. Now, he realizes that he is standing alone against the heads of the most powerful clans of Konoha.

Another reason, he requires Team Seven. He needs power. No one would dare to stand against them, against the people, they love dearly.

"Also, we need someone, who will manage to stand against Hitoshi." Hiruzen adds for a measure. He knows that the Haruno boy is painful subject for most of them, present. Using him as a bait is the only option, he is left to have. "Clearly, none of you were able to stand against him. We need Sakura at her strongest in order to stand against him and survive."

"Hitoshi..." Shisui starts speaking. His voice is low, full of anger. He has known the Haruno siblings most of their lives. He spent his free time over at their household, he was Hitoshi's best friend, someone Sakura turned to if something happened. "Hitoshi would never harm Sakura." His voice is cold. Distant.

"Hitoshi we knew, would also never murder his parents." Hiruzen states with blank expression. His eyes are staring at the horizon, calculating everything in order to manage to wiggle out of the situation.

Shisui does not say anything. But his eyes harden, his stare averting from Lord Third to the orb, where Sakura is displayed. Kakashi let all three of them pass. The team that will be unstoppable, but the team, that will destroy itself.

***

Both, Naruto and Sasuke, are ecstatic. They never knew that not passing was not an option for our team. They don't know that failing was not one of Hiruzen's goals. They are unaware that we are to be used to exploited for the rest of our short lives.

"Sakura?" I look up at Kakashi, offering him a small smile. The gray haired man looks tired, worn out. "Maybe we can talk?" He tilts his head away from Naruto's and Sasuke's direction. I nod my head, following him behind as he starts walking the other way.

I don't say anything. I don't believe that I have anything to say. I might have an idea about what he wants to talk. But I don't think that I will be changing my ways.

"Sakura." I look up at him. "I have known you for the better part of your life." He takes a deep breath in. He is tired, his eye looking at me lazily. "I do realize that you must know the truth and the reasoning behind assembling this team." I nod again. I smile a little, happy that Kakashi does not consider me dense enough not to notice the obvious going in front of me. "I know that you will manage wonders. But at this point, neither Sasuke, nor Naruto are ready for all of these." He opens his arms motioning around. "They... they are not mature enough to know how the real world is functioning."

Why no one ever tried to preserve me the same way? Why did nobody consider protecting me from the real world, when I was younger?

"So, you want me to resort to less-violent attacks?" I tilt my head to the side, small smile stretching on my lips. He nods, sighing. I close my eyes for a second, letting different, violent, memories rush in front of me, passing me by. "I can do this." I whisper finally, snapping my eyes open. "But...Kakashi-sensei...There will be day soon enough, when they will have to witness how the world is truly functioning. We cannot keep them in a safe bubble forever." I whisper the words out. "And the later they find out the truth, the more danger they are put in."

Kakashi does not say anything. Instead, he pats my head, offering me what I can only guess is a smile.