Mulligan

It all began when my colleague becomes a piece of shit, in literal sense. It was Saturday morning when my phone ringing, and Julia (my other colleague) can be heard crying on the other side.
"Julia? What happen?" so I said. "Robert! Robert is dead! It's on television right now!" she cried. "Oh gosh," I said. I turn the local news station and there was him, found dead in a dump, and honestly, I couldn't care less.

Now before you judge me, let me tell you that he was a jerk to me and no, I didn't kill him. The man was drunk and got hit by a hobo; that was what police thinks and I believe police—end of the news. So that night, me and Julia decided to visit Robert's family and offer condolences. We met at the local market and walk down the cricket route. We arrive at a small house.

A skinny young woman in blue velvet came out. "Julia? Atticus? Please come in, sorry for my attire." She brought us inside to a tiny and tidy room in which there was an old green couch plus Frank Sinatra and Audrey Hepburn on the blue wall . I get the grasp of her face. Both eyes were swollen, yet, she still try to uphold the urge to cry. She is Barnaby, Robert's little sister. I remember meeting her a few occasions, she was a cheerful girl. Seeing her in this state hurts my heart more than the death of her brother. I quietly came closer.

"He was a good guy," I said, "as a matter of fact—a great guy, your brother is."
"He is." Barnaby nod.
"He helps us many times, truly a fine gentleman." Julia remarked, "Atticus and I were indebted to him."
"Robert is generous."
"Told us if you need anything, we will help."
"Thanks Atticus, I'm fine. The insurance will take care all."
"We could do other things." I proposed.
"Other?"
"Emotional support, I'm a good listener, Julia too."
"Yes, I'm a good listener."
"You mean like a friend?"
"Friend, yes, we support each other. We hear your complaints, give a shoulder when you cry, and things like that." I must have been sounds so corny. "Sorry—I'm not good at talking."
Barnaby chuckled. "Listening right?"
"Yeah."
"Then yes, please, let us be friends." She smiled. "Wait a moment, I will make coffees."

She left the room and Julia opened her eyes wide at me. "Wow," she blurted, "you're good at this."
"Flirting? Yes, I'm excellent."
She laughs, "I mean giving sympathy...you looks quite cool you know?"
"Oh I'm cool."
She laughs again.
"You good?" I asked her.
"Me?"
"You bawled your eyes out in the phone this morning."
"Oh, that," she remembered, "I'm just shocked, I'm good now."
"Good," I nodded.

A moment later, the coffees came and soon enough the room was filled with fragrance. Thus, our chatters continue. Turns out that Barnaby is about to finish her bachelor degree, and she will use the insurance money to pay the student debt after his brother's funeral. I'm intrigued.

"I never knew he had that kind of insurance," I said, "It comes pretty handy at times like this."
"I just learn about it this morning," she answered, "the amounts so big for me alone, I don't even know how to react—"
"For you alone?"
"Yes, I'm his only family, we don't have parents or relatives except for his ex-wife," she explained."the insurance said Robert insist that Patricia didn't get a single fortune from it."
"That's understandable," said Julia.
"You guys know about her?" Barnaby looks a little confused.
I shake my head, it's the first time I heard about it.
"He told me about her on some occasions, not a good story."

"What story?"
The room was cold and silent. The sound of the night could be heard from miles away while the fragrance were fading. Julia seems flustered and took a sip to prolong time, so did I.
It was bitter.

"You know," Julia rolled her eyes, "like slandering her."
"I see..." Barnaby retorted, "he used to tell me how much he loves her, it was a good day."
"People change," I slip myself into the conversation. "So does love."
"I hate change."
"Everyone does; just the matter of time they realize it."
Barnaby grins at me, "you liar, you certainly good at talking."
"I may have lied one or two."
"Or three?"
"Or three."

Or when I said I didn't kill him.