Once Upon A Time - Chp 24

Hannah held her peace all morning, ignoring each little altercation that occurred on the assembly floor. Normally she would have intervened, but John's temper had been on a short lease the last few days. Every small mistake touched a nerve with her son. Nothing brought him peace, not the influx of orders or the speed at which they were completed. He was so unhappy. She truly worried for him. The man couldn't go on like this she thought bitterly.

For the last hour she trailed behind him, staying primarily out of his way, but keeping a close watch on who he chose to reprimand for the smallest offense. Still placing the blame on Margaret's shoulder, Hannah also admitted to herself it was only the girl who could ease John's torment.

The assembly floor was teeming with workers; the mad rush to finish that day's packaging so orders could be shipped had been nonstop. In another ten minutes, they could stop for a break, but John was on hand to inspect. No one dared take an opportunity for a breather.

As he turned and strolled down another line of tables, the young woman that suddenly appeared at the far end of the room seemed to suck all the sound in the air to her.

Heads turned one by one; eyes widening in alarm as they watch her approach. Hannah couldn't believe her eyes. When Margaret was near enough to touch she quickly moved to block her way, hoping to prevent a scene she knew would erupt had the woman been allowed to speak with John. Her son had not seen her yet. Hannah could still get her out.

"Can't you see how busy we are?"

The tone of her voice was far from kind. Hannah knew she was being harsh, but she couldn't be gentle at a time like this.

"I need to speak with him."

Margaret skirted around her, only to find herself pulled back by a strong hand that gripped her arm painfully.

"You've hurt him enough!" Hannah said cruelly. "The door's that way!"

"I'm not leaving, Mrs. Thornton."

Several pairs of eyes were already watching. The line of workers who craned their necks to see argument grew that the work slowed. John noticed immediately.

"I'm not leaving," Margaret said

When she looked to where John stood their eyes met and clashed.

His face betrayed the painful emotions running through him at seeing Margaret there. In an instant he was beyond thrilled she had come, a ghost of a smile on his lips, but that joy quickly turned sour. By the time he was standing before her, John was scowling heavily.

"What are you doing here?"

There was a thin layer of anguished and pain in his tone. Margaret cringed at hearing it.

"I've come to tell you something."

Her strength turned pale and weak at the sight of his scowling face. She swallowed uncomfortably as the noise around them began to lessen and then come to a complete stop.

"Tell me what?"

He wasn't making it easy for her. She didn't expect kindness.

"I'm sorry for running off like I did. I was scared."

"Oh... you were scared."

The man's expression did not change. John looked almost bored with her explanation as though it were a foregone conclusion. In her mind it seemed to be too little, too late to explain.

"I was confused."

"I see."

He let out a sigh and began to turn away. Those around them quickly resumed their work, but their effort was at half mast. It was just for show. Their real interest lay in the two figures who tried so hard not to touch physically, emotionally.