Once Upon A Time - Chp 14

There were a lot of names John would have used to describe Emma Courtland. Toffee-nosed, obnoxious, overbearing, snob; any of those would be at the top of the list. Two phone calls were made and the most he got was telling her his name and purpose, before she dismissed him. It would do her right if he just showed on her doorstep and demanded entrance. Thinking on it further, he was tempted to do just that.

Now if he could just get Margaret to go along, they could settle the matter once and for all regarding Courtland's connection or lack thereof to the book. It was doubtful in his mind that there was anything to find, but he still needed to check. There had been no opportunity to call Margaret or confirm a possible visit that Wednesday, but tomorrow he would be in London and he would go to the bakery.

He knew she had grown anxious and worried. His own feelings were similar, but he pushed them down, refusing to acknowledge them until they could finish this book hunt. While hopeful all would proceed as planned the previous night, the following day, his plans went astray as scheduled meetings with clients took up his time. Mentioning the visit to London after didn't sit well with his mother. Hannah disliked the idea of mixing business hours with personal matters.

Couldn't he wait until the weekend to see Margaret, she had asked of him?

If it were only that simple, John thought. Hannah appeared to have accepted Margaret as someone special in his life, though liking her for her sake had yet to happen. Trying not to let it dampen his spirits, John set off for London just before the factory closed for the day on Thursday. It was too late to try and see Emma Courtland, but he certainly would arrive just in time to take Margaret out for dinner.

The thought of spending some ordinary time alone with her was what he needed after being apart for several days. The long drive south made him think of how much time had passed already since they met. It was well over three weeks now. Everything moved so quickly between them. In another nine days it would be a full month. So far, he had not read any further in the book as to what would happen.

The one passage he did confer on regularly was the date of their marriage. That part had not changed though he sometimes expected it would each time he looked. Even though they had grown closer, it wasn't the relationship between a couple madly in love with each other. It did bother him, wondering how they would they go from getting to know each other better to saying I love you to each other in the time they had left. What of their wedding? Could a wedding be arranged within a month's time?

John had no knowledge of such things. Fanny's wedding preparation had taken nearly eight months. He wouldn't want to deny Margaret a grand celebration if that was what she wished for. So long as they were married, that was what counted to him.

Arriving at the bakery, he quickly parked the car and saw Tara at the door. The lights had been turned off and the open sign flipped around. Had he arrived too late?

"Hold up!"

He rushed in just as the woman was just about to shut the door.

"Come on in. I was closing up."

"Is Margaret here?"

Looking around, the feeling that she wasn't there made his stomach sink. Why didn't he just call ahead to check?

"In the back." Tara nodded her head towards the rear as he looked and saw the light peeking out from the half closed door. "She's doing the accounts. Maybe you can pry her away with the promise of dinner."

"You read my mind."

John laughed at her suggestion, already wondering where he could take Margaret too.