2. bruises

one year later, sixteen year old michael was sitting in the grace's bedroom. his best friend's bedroom. by this time michael was completely and utterly in love; with a girl he couldn't have. also by this time, every boy wanted grace lee. no one deserved her. but one guy had her; and that guy wasn't michael. it was luke hemmings: blonde hair, blue eyed jock, or as michael called him, a jerk . out of all the girls, michael had to pick the one with a boyfriend. but after all, he did pick her first.

michael was sitting alone on grace's bed, waiting for her to get out of the shower. he was on his phone, looking and waiting for his nerdy friend, ashton to answer his text. michael was failing freshman geometry, but he was a junior. if he didn't pass this year, he'd probably fail all of high school. if that was possible. ashton finally replied with a 'simple' formula. about seventy one letters divided by something. maybe it was times. whatever. michael replied with a small 'thanks ash, i owe you one.' finally, grace walked out of her shower, in a towel.

"mike, do i looked like i've gained weight?" she asked frowning, looking down to her feet. michael swore he said a tear slide down her cheek.

"grace, no i don't. you are beautiful. why would you think that?" michael always dropped small hints about him liking her; trying to come on subtle, he called it.

"uh, well, kelly, you know kelly?" michael nodded. "well, she always drops hints. she goes 'i'd lent you my legging, but i think they'd be a little small.' or 'we could go shop at forever 21, but their clothes are for smaller boned people.'" michael didn't understand. how could people be so blind. grace was perfectly perfect. kelly was also, a bit small. small, small. really small. small waist, small everything. the only actual big thing on her was her mouth. she spread rumours and gossip and everything.

"well, you don't look any bigger. you look the same. and being the same you is amazing you. and if you don't believe me, how much did you weigh last week."

"uh, one hundred twenty four. that's actually a lo-"

"go weigh yourself." and she did. grace lost seven pounds. in a week. michael thought, and realised he never saw her eat. she only drank. nothing but water. michael thought about asking, like he was going to ask about her scars. but he just couldn't. he wasn't going to put that on her. he wouldn't.

"thanks michael. you're one of my best friends. um, do you mind if luke comes over?" yes, he minded. of course he did; he hated luke and luke hated him.

"good, because he's downstairs." the ends of michael's mouth curved downward, but just barely, so grace wouldn't notice. he hated it when she notice. it wasn't usually that often that she noticed. he still loved grace lee. a bit too much.

two minutes later, luke hemmings was standing in front of michael clifford, holding him up by his collar.

"why are you in my girlfriend's house?" luke stood only about two inches above michael, and it was probably only his hair. but luke was like the king bee; and the girl michael loved was his queen. luke was standing in his letterman's varsity football jacket. luke was so close, michael could smell the mint gum in his mouth.

"i was just leaving," michael scoffed. michael tried to walk away, but luke stopped him. luke regained his grasp on michael's collar, and lifted him up off the ground. grace stood in fear.

"you're own girlfriend's scared of you," michael smirked. luke dropped him. michael just stood there. luke looked over to grace. she sat in awe. michael wasn't sure of what he had just started, but before he knew it, he was down the stairs, blood on the wooden steps. luke went two steps at a time racing towards michael. he grabbed the back of michael's hairs and pounded him into the ground.

"that. is. what. y-" he started.

"get out of my house, luke! now! we're done, you don't simply hurt my best friend like that!" then, luke walked out; correction, stormed out.

grace walked michael to the bathroom located in her room, and she directed michael to sit on the countertop. he sat there, and told him if she hurt him, to squeeze her hand. she was cleaning the cuts he had gotten on his way down the stairs and with luke. michael flinched a lot, until he decided he'd try something new.

"grace, i need something softer. how about your lips?" then she kissed him, and he kissed back. and after that small, magical kiss, he kissed her first. then she kissed him after that. it was a 'let's take turns' kissing game. and michael knew if he said that aloud she wouldn't kiss him again.

most of the kisses were just pecks, except a few, like the first two that lasted about seven seconds each. on one occasion, when grace kissed michael, it was almost a make out session. until they heard grace's older brother walk into her room. that lead the michael hiding in the shower, and grace pretending to have 'explosive vomiting.' once grace's brother left, michael sprinted down the stairs (which they forgot to clean), and left. when he got outside, grace was at the window and he blew a kiss. he totally saw her catch it. michael sprinted all three miles home. adrenaline was the only thing that kept him going. and maybe the fact he had the work on geometry extra credit.

and that was the story of michael's first kiss, or kisses, and how he ended the most popular relationship in what seemed was the whole world. michael still didn't know what he was to grace, he just cared that she actually kissed his back. and tried to make out with him. maybe it would work out right next time. if there was a next time.

+

omg this chapter makes me happy idfk