Chapter 2: Where are We?

Then I found myself on a sandy beach along with about everyone that was on the ship. As I looked around I noticed that the world seemed to be made of cubes. Wait a minute, how could sand, dirt, and stone be made of cubes? "Hey Daniel, where are we, and how did we get here?" asked Dustin. This startled me because I had not yet noticed him come up beside me.

"I don't know but did you notice that everything is made of cubes?" I replied.

"No, you’re right though," He said. As I looked around I noticed with a start of excitement that the girl I had seen on the boat.

All of a sudden a man in a black cloak came over to the group and yelled out "All of you should come with me. I have experience here and can make you happy here."

I felt a cold chill run down my back at his last words and knew something was up. So I yelled back "Hey, we don't know you, for all we know you could have bad intentions. I say we stick together and set up a camp."

"Why sit here with one who knows nothing of this world just on petty fears, or would you rather be happy and live in comfort?" He replied. I knew I had lost some of the people because a little more than half the people went to join him. After that the rest of the group remained were they were. "The ones who have not joined me your fates are sealed," He said as he turned and left with the others. The last words he said worried me and I wondered if he meant them as a threat.

The first thing we needed to do is get a camp so I divided up the group into two groups, one would be lead by Dustin to go and find some trees to make crude pickaxes and go and find a good cave to mine from. My group and I would go find a forest and use branches to make crude axes to chop down some wood to start making a camp. By midday we had enough wood, stone, and coal (which was found in the mine) to start building our camp. We started to build our wall which would have to be at least four blocks high and be big enough to fit inside it all the housing needed for our group of 4,573. It seemed like a big chore but with everyone's hard work we had the wall up in no time. With that done I divided the group into families (with everyone in agreement) and set them to work on their homes. My group (or family) was to be Dustin, The girl I had seen whose name is Lin, and another girl named Sara (a mix of white and Asian) who I think Dustin liked. By night fall everyone was in their house ready to spend their first night in this new land.

I awoke to a scream and hurried outside to see a portion of our wall had been destroyed by what looked like an explosion. Two people seemed to have been killed in it, a young female (the one who probably screamed) and an older man (about in his fifties), and the worst was there where now three zombies and two skeletal archers moving into the camp. I called for every able bodied man and woman to get axes and quickly kill the fiends before we sustained any more casualties. It was quite impressive how many and how quickly they came. Within a few minutes we had dispatched of the monsters and had fixed the wall. This time we set up watch made of twenty-five men who would switch guards every two hours.

As the sun rose the current head of the guard came over to our hut and knocked. When I asked him what was going on he told me that he himself didn't believe it, but the two people killed in the small attack last night had somehow come back and not as zombies. I walked with him to the front gate where the two had been knocking to get in and to my surprise the guard had been right. There at the gate stood the two people I had seen dead last night, but now they weren't dead, in fact they looked healthy in not more so. "How are you two alive and well? I saw you as dead as a doornail and with no probable way of getting back up. In fact we didn't even have bodies to bury. They seemed to have disappeared after the battle was over." I said.

"We don't know, one minute it was total darkness, and then we woke up in the spot we first started at." The older man said. I was amazed at the concept of rebirth, no respawning. I wondered if this happened to everyone, but hoped never to find out to find out.