Chapter Twenty Three

L and I were extremely happy the next day, both waking up with a big smile on our faces. " So how should we tell everyone?" L asked as I finished getting dressed, " I'm not sure, I've never had to tell anyone I'm engaged before". L smiled as he wrapped his arms around me " You're funny, come on we have a criminal to catch". L and I held hands as we walked downstairs and into the room, everyone stopped and stared at us in confusion " You're still together?" Matsuda asked confused " I didnt go through with it, I couldn't betray Meg like that" L spoke up, an angry Light and Misa glaring at us " That didn't stop her from having sex with me last night" Light spoke up. " Meg thought our relationship was over,  and she found comfort in her ex lover. Its only natural, besides we have news" L smiled as he turned to me.

I raised my left hand and smiled " We're getting married". Everyone jumped up, staring at us in shock before congratulating us. Light however just stared at me, shock, anger and betray written all over his face. Why he still loved me I couldn't understand, it had been years since we broke up. " How are you going to get married? We're in the middle of a case?" " We're going to get married today" L smiled " What?!" Light yelled. " Well since we're still in the case, we're not going to have a public wedding. We're just going to go down to the court house and do it there" I smiled. " What about your dream wedding?" Light asked staring at me, " The roses, the big white dress and the beautiful winter theme" " Maybe we can do that when the case is over, but for now I'm happy with this".

Light stormed out of the room in anger, L kissed my hand before following him, it was actually surprising. " Congratulations" Mr. Yagami smiled, pulling me in for a tight hug " Are you sure this is what you want to do?" " More than anything" " Then I'm happy for you" He kissed my cheek " You should tell your mother" " Yeah, she can meet us at the court house" I smiled before taking out my phone. I went into a separate room, staring out at the window as the phone rang. " Hello?" " Hey mom" " Megami?!" " Yeah it's me" " I've missed you so much sweetheart" " I've missed you too mom. I have some news" " Yes?". " I'm getting married today, I wanted to know if you'd like to come to the court house and meet my finance?" " Married?! When did you get engaged?" " Last night, I'll explain everything later mom" " Tell me the time and I'll be there".

I smiled walking back into the room " My moms coming" " That's great Meg, I'll invite the wife and daughter as well" Mr. Yagami spoke up, taking out his phone. " You don't have to do that" " Please, like I said you're like a daughter to me. We want to see you happy on your special day". Light and L came through the door, " So I was thinking around lunch time if that's okay?" L asked with a smile " Uh sure, I'll tell my mom. Oh yes, my mom is coming to see us married" " An opportunity to meet your mother, sounds fun". " My family are coming too" Mr. Yagami smiled " Go get ready!' Matsuda yelled at me " You want to look absolutely perfect on your special day now go!".

I laughed before going upstairs, he was right I wanted today to be perfect. I showered, shaved and cleaned myself thoroughly. I put curlers in my hair before I sat down and did my make up, I went for a natural look but gave my eyes a glam look, eye linger and some glitter in the corner of my eyes to really make them pop. I looked through my wardrobe, trying to see if I had anything beautiful to wear before finally stopping on a dress I'd never worn before. It was a knee length, baby pink dress, it was a spaghetti strap dress with laced chest piece. I took my hair out of curlers, quickly giving my hair a blow dry and setting my wavy curls in place with hair spray. I quickly wrapped a silver chain around my neck, pearl earrings and my engagement ring, topping it off with my white heel shoes.

There was a light knock on the door before it opened, Mr. Yagami coming in, his eyes widening as he noticed me. " How do I look?" " You look absolutely beautiful" He smiled, a tear falling from his eye " Don't you dare start crying" I patted under my eye " I'm sorry" he laughed. " You're father would be so proud of you Megami", I couldn't stop the tears from falling at his words, quickly fixing my make up before taking my hand and guiding me downstairs. Everyone was waited in the lobby, once they heard the clanking of my shoes against the stairs, they turned around, all their eyes widening and a smile on their faces.

L was the last to turn around, a smile spreading across his face as tears started falling from his eyes. He took my hands in his and smiled, " You look absolutely gorgeous" " You look handsome yourself " I smiled as was dressed in a sharp suit, his hair combed back. We made our way to the court house, we said our goodbyes before going inside. We filled out the paper work before signing our names on the bottom, " Congratulations you are now Mr and Mrs. Lawliet" the woman smiled at us. L took out two wedding rings, slipping one onto my finger as I did the same with his. We held hands as we made our way out of the court house, all our friends outside. L pulled me into him and kissed me passionately, everyone cheering and whistling for us. We pulled away smiling at each other like idiots, this had to be the best day of my life and nothing could take this feeling away from me.