Chapter 42

Thud!
Jason was pushed to the ground, the third time in a row.

"Agh!" He groaned, throwing his head back in frustration. He clenched his fist, dirt gathering underneath his fingernails. His sword was thrown a few meters away from him and he knew he should go get it, but his body wouldn't move. 

"Hey." Percy walked up to him, crouching in front of him. He was balancing lightly on the balls of his feet, cocking his head. "What wrong?"

Jason knew what he was asking. He wasn't his usual self today, he was aware, but as much as he wanted to act like he was unbothered, there was the constant shadow looming over his face. He had become careless in their sparring, spacing out continuously. 

"Nothing's wrong, I'm just hungry." Jason joked, trying to lighten the mood. He quickly got up, in his hassle almost hitting Percy in the head. Percy dodged, of course, but didn't forget to shoot him a bewildered look. He turned away just as fast, going to pick up his sword, knowing that if Percy looked as his face, he would know he was lying. 

"Let's stop for today then." Percy nodded, getting up and lifting his shirt to tuck away his knives. He motioned for Keria with a glance, stretching out his hand while his bracelet prepared for her arrival. She landed obediently, making Jason remember the time when he tried coaxing her and ended up with red lines across his arm. She was scary.

"Please tell Lady Lupa that we're going back to the Wolf House. And if you happen to see Rey, ask him if he wants to join. We're having an early dinner." A few seconds of silence followed where Keria most probably asked for more meat. Percy sighed deeply and jerked his arm upwards, making Keria take flight. 

Though Percy was simply caring for him, Jason wished, for the first time in a while, that he would be left alone. His insides were twisting tighter as he continued to lie to Percy, smiling brightly, pretending that his scar wasn't burning with imaginary pain. 

He followed behind Percy with clasped hands and fiddling fingers, lost in his memories. He was glad that Percy naturally was a quiet person because he didn't know if he would've been able to hold a conversation. 

Rey joined them with Keria at the Wolf House, greeting them with licks and tackles. They ate a quiet meal, enjoying the sunset. Rey had Percy occupied, wriggling himself in his lap, asking for more pets and scratches. 

Till then Percy had obviously noticed Jason's mood and had allowed him to rest by himself, knowing that they sometimes needed time to themselves. He didn't know what was troubling Jason, but kept Rey and the others occupied, knowing that if Jason needed them, he would come to them. 

Except for Jason's unusual behavior, the rest of the evening passed usually. They took their baths and cleaned and sharpened their weapons. They patted Rey a good hunt and finally, got ready to end the day. 

Though the wolves mostly hunted at night and the forest was the most active in the darkness, the elderly couple in the Wolf House insisted on the pair to sleep. There were nights where they both would accompany Lupa and her wolves, but usually, they slept early and awoke at dawn. 

Percy was concerned about Jason but was powerless in more than a few ways to help him. He didn't know anything about his past nor was Jason his family. He couldn't just barge in his room and ask him what was bothering him. As close as they were, they had yet to cross such a line of intimacy. 

So he chose to simply watch over him, deciding to trust him and his strength. He went back to his corner of the forest, climbing swiftly up the branches and settling there. He closed his eyes, throwing an arm across his eyes. He felt Keria making herself comfortable on a branch above him and bid her goodnight. 

With Jason still on his mind, he drifted off in light slumber, only to be awoken in pitch darkness by the sound of muffled sobs.